I just got a 5 month old diamond python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome
well pythons arnt dogs or cats so no but some people will say diferent

I don't think they identify certain individuals, but i think some over time come to realize that you aren't a threat to them though even that could be debatable.

Hi, My opinion is that i do think they know who you are, as an example of my Dad put his hand in my Stimmie's enclosure my snake will constantly strick at him until his hand is out, but if i put my hand in he is a whole different snake, he doesn't strick he is as calm as you could get.
Thanks Tim.

Hi, My opinion is that i do think they know who you are, as an example of my Dad put his hand in my Stimmie's enclosure my snake will constantly strick at him until his hand is out, but if i put my hand in he is a whole different snake, he doesn't strick he is as calm as you could get.
Thanks Tim.

Yes that occurs with my coastal!

my sons MD will strike at me when in it's enclosure ,but never strikes at him, so even though they're not cats and dogs and won't come when called, IMO I think they smell the difference between the person who normally handle them and others who don't.

it is very debatable! But in my oppion snakes dont identify individuals, but they become use to being around and having human contact!

welcome to the forum from another newbie diamond owner;)

mine definately behaves differently when others try to get him out of his enclosure, but once out he is a little socialite.

mick.

I think they do because when ever mum opens any of my enclosures they dont come out. But when i open them they slither out onto my arm... Bit like Acrochordus

i think they learn your scent..... and will mostly realise from this that you are not food :) plus i think they get comfortable with scents they know. my snakes always prefer to be on me than other they think smell funny lol

yep, sure will.
When it gets older he will be giving you high fives etc..............lol

This is a debatable topic, I think yes they do know who you are....and where you live....and where you work...:eek:

My jungle only ever really bites ME, so either it's the worlds biggest coincidence or he knows who I am.

i have a lack of experience so my reply is more of a hypothesis, perhaps they recognise the persons hand that goes into their tank, via both scent, appearence and possibily texture? Im guessing this cause wouldnt the snake notice if a small light hand always picked it up. If a larger, darker hand were to enter the tank id assume the snake would possibily see it as different, suggesting its not as friendly. I have no idea if im right or not but im interested to find out. Let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back