snake shaking??any help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukz13

Reaction score
So i have been treating my snake with mite spray that i got from my local petshop i have followed all the instructions on the bottle the mites seem to have gone but he kind of has this jerking shaking thing that he is doin? im not sure it has anything to do with the mite spray or not but is this normal? He has not done this before..

any help would be tops dukzzz

Sounds like it may have been poisoned??? what type / brand of treatment did you use? how old / big is the snake? how did you use the product ect..

Take it to the vet.....
Then get on here and post

i dunno its not his body that is shaking its his head and not really shaking just jerky???

There is a brand out there that if you spray it directly on the snake it will poison it. I would recommend putting it in a warm bath and wash it, put it in a tub and take it to the vet.
I nearly did the same thing when I first started out, but I washed it in time before any harm was done. Thanks to this site I found out the dangers of certain brands of mite spray and how to apply them safely.

The snake is 7 years old about 2.5 meters ahh i used a product called mite spray from science products ahh i took snake out of cage sprayed cage left for half hour to air out sprayed snake outside cage then put back in cage after 10 mins repeated twice over a week

re snake

The shaking and jerking movements are from adverse reaction to the sparay affecting the nervous system,ive seen the same reaction with a young murray darling that i treated with orange medic and got some in its mouth.The murray that i had displaying the twitching etc recovered by the next morning,can onley advise you to take the snake to the vet,these sprays etc are probably toxic if the snake or lizard breaths in enough and if thye reptile is a juvenile.

Does sound like poisoning! The worst part is it maybe to late to do anything
about it as by the time they start to show signs thier system is all ready going into
toxic shock.
But it may be well worth the cost to take to the vet and see if there is anything they may be able to do

im not sure its seems to be only a mile shake and jerk and like i say its not really an option to go to vet at the moment as i cant afford it.

Yep.... generally I would only use TOD for treating mites, but any insecticide can prove fatal to snakes if they inhale / ingest it. Generally larger snakes get over minor doses, saying that, it could leave permanent damage to various organs so treatment has to be carried out with extreme caution. I would treat a snake by sprayig onto my hands and rubbing over the snakes body apposed to "spraying" directly onto the snake, then wash the snake in water, reptile mites die readily on contact with insecticides, it's their eggs that are the tricky part. I would also tub the snake for a couple of months whilst treating and use something harsher for the enclosure, but leaving it sit unoccupied for a few weeks and getting numerous washouts with soapy water before putting anything back into it....

hmm yer well the spray i got does say you can either spray directly on or rub on with a cloth but i have him soaking in a tub atm so im hoping he will be ok his shaking and jerkiyness is not all the time only lil spirts of it so hopefully i may have got it in time

If you can't afford vet visits you shouldn't own ANY animals. Your vet will be more than happy to arrange a payment plan. If you've poisoned your snake you owe the animal a trip to the vet.

my snakes head seems very jerky during feeding time, when it sees her prey she moves weirdly in a 'jerky' manor.
it could just be the snake and the way she likes to move.

I have a SWC that shakes its head sometimes like it was asleep and I have scared the poor thing. I have never sprayed the snake for mites so that is not the problem I have. My snake is just fine otherwise perhaps we just have snakes that are scared easily.:lol::lol::lol:

and at this point i cant afford to take it to the vet.
Not having a go at you.....Why do ppl own any sort of animals if they cant affort to take them to a vet if the need arises...If something happens and you leave it to long,it may be too late by the time you get to see a vet....Maybe ring your local vet and see if you can pay the bill off....defiantly worth a try...As suggested maybe bath the snake,hopefully if it is the spray you used washing him-her might help....Best of luck...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back