Beardie mating ritual?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stranger

Reaction score
Hi

I have two beardies, they're about 8 months old. I am fairly sure that one is male and one is female. I fed the one I think is male a couple of day old pinkies and then both the beardies started moving quickly before the "male" ended up on top of the "female" on their basking rock. They then appeared to perform mating rituals, the female started "waving" and head bobbing, the male was also bobbing but more wildly. The male then darkened and started puffing his beard and body. After roughly 10 minutes they seperated and returned to normal. im just wondering if anybody knows what this means. Surely they are too young to mate at only 8 months?? Thanks for any help!

PS tails were overlapped but they werent actually mating

Males can be sexually active at a younger age then a female. It would be best to seperate them as females getting mated at a young age before they are fully grown can stunt the growth and if she doesn't have enough condition she may die from the eggs/eggbound etc.

Mating - the male will physically 'bite' her neck & hold on while he's on top of her & move her around while he's got good physical control of her, to suit him being able to 'do the deed', so to speak.
He's probably trying in a young, adolescent way, so as Dave says - seperate them. Ideally u don't want this happening for at least another year, especially for her sake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back