Blue Tongue Lizard - Townsville QLD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micmac

Reaction score
I am new to all of this and I am trying to find someone else in Towsville with Blue Tongue Lizards. I have 2 and am sure they are a male and a female but are siblings. They are 8 years old and I am not sure if they are too old to breed or are allowed to breed together as they are siblings. Is there anyone in Townsville who also has some ? I have young family members (Grandson) that now want one (the 2 I have belong to my teenager) and I am not sure where to get any more from. We have had ours since hattchling. Or should change my licence and learn how to breed some myself.
Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forum Micmac. By chance, can you share a pic of your lizards?

Guys more knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your questions.

As they were siblings, I had them in tha same large enclosure for the first 12 months. Then I came home from work one afternoon to find one with bites and scratches. I assumed from there that they were different sexes and they have been separated them ever since. The ? Female is much bigger than the ? Male. The photo is what I think is the male. He is a lot more active and social than her.

Attachments

• 20221105_085139.jpg
    20221105_085139.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
@Micmac,
It does not matter that they are siblings if you wish to breed them. This, and similar inbreeding of closely related individuals, is how a lot of new morphs are often produced. Bluetongues can live for 20 or more years in captivity and continue to breed throughout their adult lives.

Mating in bluetongues is a fairly brutal affair and can be harsh on either participant. They need to be cooled (to go through hibernation/brumation over the winter months) before breeding to ensure viable eggs and sperm are produced. If kept indoors, the heat provided needs to be reduced during the cooler months. If they have been kept outdoors, this would have happened naturally.

It may not be too late to put them together to mate this year. All you need is a container with a base area of around a ⅓ sq metre. The base should have no substrate and the lizards must be able gain purchase on it with there claws. You can use an appropriated packing box with the bottom flaps folded out and the box placed on carpet or lawn etc. Place the female in first and give it a few minutes to settle down. Then place the male in with her. If he is interested in mating you will know within a matter of minutes. If nothing happens, remove him after 10 mins and try again tomorrow. If he does mate, remove him immediately after he disengages. You can allow them to mate again the following day or two to ensure sperm transfer actually takes place.

It is worth checking out a video on the net of how bluetongues mate so you know what to expect. You need to monitor the process. If feet or tails are grasped, separate them before an injury is done. A cotton bud soaked in mouth wash or metho, and wafted under the nostrils, is very effective in getting them to release their grip if they do not so voluntarily when picked up.

Bear in mind, if you do breed them, you are going to get a lot more than just one youngster.

Last edited:
Back