Reptiles and Cats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuddly_pony

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Havent been on here for a while but any who
I have always wanted a snake and I started saving up for one but then some one told me because I have cats I wouldnt be able to have one?
Does anyone else have animals and reptiles?
Just some general advice and opinions would be fantastic!!!
Thanks All in advance!!!!:):)

I have snakes, lizards, cats, a dog, birds and a fish...
you can have snakes when you have cats, you just need to be responsible and WATCH THEM!! when you have the snakes out... or lock them out of the room that you're handeling your snake in...

Why wouldn't you be able to keep a reptile just because you have a cat? Just keep them away from each other when you have the snake out, other than that I don't see the problem because it will be in a secure enclosure anyway.

I have 5 catsand my pythons and have no problems. Tara even cllimbs over the cats or one in particular. They often touch noses when I'm holding Tara. When I have her out on the grass and cement driveway the cats come out to keep us company and watch her moving arround. I never leave them alone together of course!!

Hi Cuddly pony, as almost everybody stated it can work as long as you keep other animals(not just cats) away from your snake. To let a python near a cat is plain foolish. Remember that many pythons are easilly capable of killing and eating things like brush tail possums so one day your cat could end up as dinner, or even worse the cat could kill or harm the python.

No comment

Sure Can, my favorite idea is eliminate your cat before you get the snake. Less Cats the better 8)

Your comment actually shows your age and maturity.

Nothing wrong with Cats, dogs and any other pet if you wish to have snakes.

It's common sense not to leave a snake out if you have a cat's or dogs otherwise a tragedy will occur. if you have a really big snake and leave it out with your Cat a Tragedy could also still occur but the snake would have a full belly.

Cat's a great parts of area home. The only time that Cat's are a problem with native wildlife is when irresponsible owners let them out to wreak havoc or wildcats wreak havoc.

Cat are easy to keep with snakes.....especially when the snake grows it will be a full balanced diet for any python......lol ....only joking

Hi all
Havent been on here for a while but any who
I have always wanted a snake and I started saving up for one but then some one told me because I have cats I wouldnt be able to have one?
Does anyone else have animals and reptiles?
Just some general advice and opinions would be fantastic!!!
Thanks All in advance!!!!:):)

Nothing wrong with having a snake and a cat I do and my cat is to lazy to even give a crap about the snakes

whoever told you that you can't is an idiot

Sure Can, my favorite idea is eliminate your cat before you get the snake. Less Cats the better 8)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Why do you think its ok to be cruel to one animal but not another pretty childish if you ask me

AHHHHHH eliminate the cats Jinin!! Lol I dont think so!!
Yeh I always planned to put the cats outside when i had the snake out but was told that you cant even have the cats in the same room as the snake enclosure because if the cat went close to the enclosure the snake would have a heart attack or something but I didnt think this was entirely true but just wanted to check
also I dont think my two cats would be interested as I had fish as well and they were more interested in the fish food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the advice
now any ideas on what snake to get???
I am a newbie

a coastal carpet is usually a good choice if you're ok with the size they can get to... they vary HEAPS in markings and colours and generally have nice tempraments... I got a coastal as my first snake and she's an absolute darling, docile at anything at just 18 months old :D

shamous 1
I completely agree with you that its terrible when irresponsible owners let cats and dogs reak havoc on wildlife especially not getting them sterilised (this doesnt apply to registerd breeders)
I on the other hand have completely enclosed our backyard so they cannot get out and both are sterilised and are never aloud out the front
Jinin its your choice whether you like cats or not but I love mine and prefer to keep them :)

My cat sits on top of my lizard and snake tanks and watches them for hours. There is absolutly no reason why you cant keep both pets

My cat is absolutely fascinated by the snakes and will sit there and watch them all day, the snakes seem to come out to check out the cat also. As long as there is a nice solid piece of glass between the two and a lock on the enclosure door there is no problem. Plus the cat seems to really appreciate the warm lid on the snake unit.

Okey dokey then so from the majority the answer is YES!!!
Yay!!! Now..........
What snake enclosure and how much????
This will be my first so it cant be a hard snake to keep alive or poisonus lol I am responsible but I want experience before I get a snake that is hard to look after
Cheers!!!

First you need to decide what price range, size and temperament snake you are after, then you can figure out what what type of snake best suits you and that will determine the size and price of the enclosure you require.

Smaller snake preferably other wise mum would have a heart attack!!!!
I like a nice temperment that is easy to handle
would it be worth getting a baby at first so it gets used to being handled from a young age??
I wouldnt have a clue what enclosure to get so info please
I have been told that the stimmsons python is a good breed for temperment how big do they get??

It was a joke shamous..........Although Lewy the reason i dont like cats is because they kill natives in the wild! people dont realise it they still think they are cute and cuddly so they let them roam around outside all night free to kill anything in its path....Not childish at all i was stating what i believe in....Sorry for offending anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back