Aus natives and yanks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrclarke72

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Look, firstly just wondering why GTP's in Aus are on class two license, Ive heard there harder to keep (have more speific requirements). I just find it somewhat amusing that GTP's are more common in captivity in america.
From what i have read and seen etc, yanks have a weird way of keeping reptiles, basically what im trying to get at is why are there so many of our natives over there (having no regulation or licence to keep them) when they cant even keep them properly.
I thought exporting natives to america would of been illegal anyway. If it is legal there should be a condition of keeping aus natives that you have to have a license.
Sorry this subject just frustrates me, maybe i dont know enough on it, anyone shed some light or have an opinion.

There is a similar thing here in Australia but with birds. Correct me if im wrong but you need a licence for some native ones but no licence at all for exotic ones.

Most of the GTP's in the US and Europe didn't come from Australia, though yes, they do have a wide range of Aussie animals, inc mammals and birds, even Emus ect.. there is alot of animals coming back and fourth illegally all the time, as well as the fact that in some overseas countries, zoo's and the like do deal with the public to some extent.

Ive seen on a number of US websites "bobtails newly imported", "pygmy pythons legally imported once only". Yeah crap! The amount of animals smuggled over there is disgusting. They are supposed to have some of the albino animals such as olives and carpets. In the US you can keep more species of Australian reptiles that most Australians can, and its not just the yanks causing the issues, Aussies with no self respect, care for animal welfare or conservation smuggle these animals over to make their wallets fatter.
(You can tell this is a frustrating topic with me!!):evil:

The fact is, there are VERY, VERY FEW ausie native GTPs in US collections.

the reason they dont keep them "properly" is because they dont have to, the animals they have over there are that imbred that you could keep them in a nuclear reactor they would still probably survive. all the animals of aussie origin they have over there are originated from very few aussie pythons that were exported years ago(forgetting about the dozens of illegally exported animals)

Another absurd assumption to add to the collection, there is absolutely nothing to show that Americans have a 'weird' way of keeping reptiles and judging by the amazing success they have had with reptiles over the years it is embarrassing to hear someone say such a thing. As far as not having to keep them properly what on Earth does that mean ?
There is no doubt animals from here have flooded into the States in the same way as they have here so there is no reason to believe that all their animals originate from a handful years ago.

Another absurd assumption to add to the collection, there is absolutely nothing to show that Americans have a 'weird' way of keeping reptiles and judging by the amazing success they have had with reptiles over the years it is embarrassing to hear someone say such a thing. As far as not having to keep them properly what on Earth does that mean ?
There is no doubt animals from here have flooded into the States in the same way as they have here so there is no reason to believe that all their animals originate from a handful years ago.

I have to agree and considering that their seasons are the oppisite to the southern hemisphere, cycling a snake to breed must be a real talent.

Agreed!

I find this subject quite amusing,when 90% of the people on here will run out to buy a book that has been written by a Yank.
(The complete Chondro,The more complete Chondro, for starters) which would be the best Chondro book there is.
Some of the best reptile husbandry practices we have adopted can be attributed to the so called yanks.
And im sure that a lot of people on here have read most of what J.W has published.And he's a yank.

So i think that this thread is suffering from a bad case Foot in mouth disease :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

i have to agree also,considering the Barkers alone have over a 1000 snake years exp!
(Sorry this subject just frustrates me, maybe i dont know enough on it)you answered your own question! may be some more reading and research.

i have a question,
if we arent allowed to export internationally them why cant we get snakes from other states in australia into WA. i mean they are still native to australia arent they??

Well for the prices people are willing to pay for some of our animals are just enough of an inciative to get tons of people to smuggle all sorts of reptiles which is why there are more GTP's being kept in the states.
Ive heard some Aussie Varaniads can go for up to 70, 000 Euro (the perentie)

i have a question,
if we arent allowed to export internationally them why cant we get snakes from other states in australia into WA. i mean they are still native to australia arent they??

Here in WA,
The whole keeping Reptiles as pets is new, it only became legal to keep them in 2003.

The reason why we cannot import pythons from other states in AUS or from around the world is because D.E.C have put a ban on importing pythons into WA as we have not had cases of IBD or OPMV here in this state.

OPMV and IBD are 2 diseases that kill pythons and would be devastating to get it introduced into the wild, you mainly hear about these cases in collections in the East and the US.
Both diseases could and have wiped out whole collections.

We can only Import Lizards and Elapids from the East that are on our Keeping List.

Here in WA,
The whole keeping Reptiles as pets is new, it only became legal to keep them in 2003.

The reason why we cannot import pythons from other states in AUS or from around the world is because D.E.C have put a ban on importing pythons into WA as we have not had cases of IBD or OPMV here in this state.

OPMV and IBD are 2 diseases that kill pythons and would be devastating to get it introduced into the wild, you mainly hear about these cases in collections in the East and the US.
Both diseases could and have wiped out whole collections.

We can only Import Lizards and Elapids from the East that are on our Keeping List.

While the reasoning behind the restrictions in WA are as you stated there have been cases of ibd found in wild pythons in WA as far back as 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back