update on border collie pups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dog and cat laws vary so much from state to state even council to council. for example im in the onkaparinga council which has no limit on cat numbers nor does it stipulate whether they are to be desexed or entire. marion council which is figuratively next door imposes a maximum of two desexed cats per property.

your avatar looks like a pic from douchebags with hot chicks. hope i didnt just tread on some toes there.

its crazy the different laws!
douchebags??? um the pic is of me and some of my friends at a festival lol

Not hard to spot the ANKC supporters is it? I have two BCs. Bailey's pedigreed (Busheyhall Bluesboy) and Gypsy's working lines (Honeyvale), buit of course the ANKC people wouldn't recognise Honeyvale as a valid prefix. Bailey is a fluffy, gorgeous, good-natured, vaguely obedient eating machine (with an undershot jaw). Gypsy is a lean, gorgeous, good-natured, very obedient, phenomenally intelligent bitch who would much rather have a pat or a word of praise than a feed. Both are neutered and microchipped of course. When the time comes to say goodbye to Gypsy I'll be looking for another BC from a home breeder who's running Honeyvale lines (the original Honeyvale breeder at Clare here in SA has retired and is in poor health). As much as I love Bailey I wouldn't be rushing off to buy another pedigreed BC, but I do have the highest respect for some ANKC breeders, especially those who follow the rules and refrain from breeding from lines known or suspected to have CL in their lines AND have BCs that show the temperament and intelligence that makes BCs the best dog. There's a definite difference between a Border Collie and a Barbie Collie! :)

Attachments

• desktop-gypsy-feb01.jpg
    desktop-gypsy-feb01.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF2884.jpg
    DSCF2884.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 56
  • gypsy-6wks-2.jpg
    gypsy-6wks-2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Gypsy-Bailey.jpg
    Gypsy-Bailey.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 48
With me personaly its more the fact that i worked at the RSPCA for so long and saw so many pups and young dogs come in as a result of back yard undesexed dogs. A lot of the time people were selling the pups off very cheap ( $50.00 - $200.00 ) there for leading to a lot of impluse buys and sometimes not always the best homes.
Now please do not get me wrong iam in NO way saying that ALL people who dont pay much for there dogs do not look after them or give them the love they deserve or that unregistered dog owners would let there pups go to just any home or that cross breeds are bad. just saying that they made up the majority of unwanted or ill treated dogs.

Jupiter creek, 3rd pic is adorable

With me personaly its more the fact that i worked at the RSPCA for so long and saw so many pups and young dogs come in as a result of back yard undesexed dogs. A lot of the time people were selling the pups off very cheap ( $50.00 - $200.00 ) there for leading to a lot of impluse buys and sometimes not always the best homes.
Now please do not get me wrong iam in NO way saying that ALL people who dont pay much for there dogs do not look after them or give them the love they deserve or that unregistered dog owners would let there pups go to just any home or that cross breeds are bad. just saying that they made up the majority of unwanted or ill treated dogs.

in my experience, cost/breed/behaviour is all irrelevent when it comes to being mistreated. i've seen tossers go out and buy pedigree pups worth crap loads, and then they dont vaccinate, dont treat for heart worm, then it comes in with some other easily prevented problem. that or they now want it gone becuase it doesnt have any training or some other made up excuse.

that or they get them euthanased because they dont want anyone else to have them... ive heard that one about 6 to many times.

Jupiter creek, 3rd pic is adorable

That one is Gypsy when she was a pup, same dog as the first pic. She was a very leggy pup but grew into a typical athletic working BC.

Attachments

• Gypsy-9wks-4.jpg
    Gypsy-9wks-4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 45
  • Gypsy14wks-1.jpg
    Gypsy14wks-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 48
  • gypsy_beach.JPG
    gypsy_beach.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 58
the only gripe i have with backyard/recreational/hobbyist breeders is that a lot of them sell to pet shops where the puppies live in unhealthy environments and are in a constant state of visual but not physical stimulation this causes lots of behavioural issues later on. The other problem with petshop puppies is that they inevitably attract impulse buying which in turn results in surrenders usually when the dog is about a year old or when the next rego fees are due.

i so agree!!

Not hard to spot the ANKC supporters is it? I have two BCs. Bailey's pedigreed (Busheyhall Bluesboy) and Gypsy's working lines (Honeyvale), buit of course the ANKC people wouldn't recognise Honeyvale as a valid prefix. Bailey is a fluffy, gorgeous, good-natured, vaguely obedient eating machine (with an undershot jaw). Gypsy is a lean, gorgeous, good-natured, very obedient, phenomenally intelligent bitch who would much rather have a pat or a word of praise than a feed. Both are neutered and microchipped of course. When the time comes to say goodbye to Gypsy I'll be looking for another BC from a home breeder who's running Honeyvale lines (the original Honeyvale breeder at Clare here in SA has retired and is in poor health). As much as I love Bailey I wouldn't be rushing off to buy another pedigreed BC, but I do have the highest respect for some ANKC breeders, especially those who follow the rules and refrain from breeding from lines known or suspected to have CL in their lines AND have BCs that show the temperament and intelligence that makes BCs the best dog. There's a definite difference between a Border Collie and a Barbie Collie! :)

But see, alot of people won't have a problem with that, I certainly don't. I understand alot of working lines can't be used for show, and as such are not usually bred from ANKC breeders etc. Personally, I would prefer working lines wherever possible, as to me they are the 'true' breed, rather than alot of dumbed down show dogs nowadays.

When I get my German Shepherd, I will be getting him from Raennik. They are still a registered kennel, but have no interest in showing. As such they breed around once a year, and many of their puppies go off to be police dogs, or active family homes. I want a working line dog as I wish to participate in tracking, high level obedience, agility, guard dog training, and schutzhund with him, I absolutely believe a show line dog wouldn't be anywhere near as capable or willing, or have the right drive.

I would still consider a back yard breeder, ONLY if proper health checks have been done and they know what their doing. Not just breeding for the hell of it, or god forbid because 'she accidentally fell pregnant'. These are the people who shouldn't have dogs.

That's why i asked him if he had a prefix, I didn't want to say anything else as i thought i'd get flamed.

If he doesn't know what you're talking about the first time, whitey, then I doubt it. I also doubt it if they haven't got a prefix. I, personally, would not buy these puppies, because I choose not to further "backyard breeders" and their dogs which have not had the proper testing needed.

If he doesn't know what you're talking about the first time, whitey, then I doubt it. I also doubt it if they haven't got a prefix.
Yeah, I’m not too fussed about ANKC registration or prefix names. I’m more interested in the health & temperament of the dogs & the intentions the breeders have. I’m not too fussed about cross breeding either only if it’s for a valid reason.
Though to me, ANKC breeders get a little more respect from me because they have taken the time to go through the process properly & most have done their research and have some idea on what they’re doing and have planned there breedings & have goals they want to achieve out of it. Like most genuine reptile breeders, they don’t usually make much prophet if any from sales as they just do it for the love of their breed.

cross breeds are generally healthier then pedigrees due to a deeper gene pool and no inbreeding. name a breed that isnt prone to hip displaysia?? to me the issue would be paying pedigree prices when there arent any papers to view.

having your bitch provide a litter isnt a big deal as long as it isnt a seasonal think. most registered breeders will get their bitch to produce a litter annually which isnt ideal but the real problems are with puppy mills and people not buying the right dog according to their environment/lifestyle.
I disagree with some of your points, pures look like they have a lot of health issues is because they have records and databases going back generations, which make health issues in purebred dogs visible. Cross breeds don't have health records and databases. Cross breeds will still carry the genetic diseases through there pups that are from the each individual breed used in the cross. It’s even more of a lotto.
Least with pures, you no know what you’re getting, crosses is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.
I agree Hip dysplasia is prone to most breeds that’s why it’s even more important to get breeding dogs X-rayed before breeding them so they don’t pass on potential severe hip problems to their pups as it is a very painful condition.
I disagree about registered breeders breeding from the same girl year after year, as in many of the code of ethics you’re not allowed to breed from the same girl consecutively unless you have been cleared from a vet and the club.

im fairly sure it is illegal to be a "backyard breeder" so to speak - unless your dog is registered as undesexed with your local council and in order for it to be registered as undesexed u need a breeders license which comes from having papered pets and being regsitered with a canine counci...... but i could also be competley wrong LOL
i do love the first pic, the pup looks so freaking happy, love it when they smile :)

Each council/shire has there own laws regarding dogs & breeding. Most places it's open season & its too hard to police anyway.

Last edited:
If he doesn't know what you're talking about the first time, whitey, then I doubt it. I also doubt it if they haven't got a prefix. I, personally, would not buy these puppies, because I choose not to further "backyard breeders" and their dogs which have not had the proper testing needed.
im not starting an arguement or anything but i am 14 and own 1 dog.do i look like i get a prfix or wat ever all i no is they get regurler health checks and there needles...o and u cant buy there all sold.

im not starting an arguement or anything but i am 14 and own 1 dog.do i look like i get a prfix or wat ever all i no is they get regurler health checks and there needles...o and u cant buy there all sold.

:rolleyes:

why does almost every thread start into something its not!!!!

did u get them micorchipped? thats another law ACT has all dogs must be microchipped but that might just be here.
vixen babe - im with you %100 on this one - 'she accidentally fell pregnant'. These are the people who shouldn't have dogs. !!!!

Give the kid a break ... 14 years old and excited to show off some puppies that obviously his parents are responsible for....

Gee APS is so friendly these days !!

thanks mrs 1 and yes they will be microchipped and they wernt accidentally bred gesss u see use make ur own storey and argue without even knowing the right storey.

thanks mrs 1 and yes they will be microchipped and they wernt accidentally bred gesss u see use make ur own storey and argue without even knowing the right storey.

when you say 'use' im guesing your trying to turn the word 'you' into a plural word?
not sure if you read what i wrote but im fairly sure i complimented your pups and also stated that i was not trying to offend or have a go at anyone.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back