update on border collie pups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well guys/girls i just put this thread up so that everyone could see,miss 2 you also said( 'she accidentally fell pregnant'. These are the people who shouldn't have dogs. !!!! ) so unless that wasnt based on me im sorry,and yer its good but i only bred them once lol and im not having my male bc (my pride and joy)being a sex machine ,he will be desexed shortly and im also only 14 (15 nxt friday)so i cant take them to a vet when i want look after them the way i want and all this other stuff everyone is talking about .,.... i cant do it ,so there ya go lol ,you get me now

I MIGHT ADD THAT THE DOGS ARE VERY LOOKED AFTER AND VERY HEALTHY!!!

I can't see any comment that is bullying bulionz? It’s a good educational thread.

May well be educational, but a lot of people are commenting on his situation. He is 14 !!

Maybe you would like his parents number to discuss with them instead.

Want to start a thread on back yard dog breeding and the legalities go for it, but this kid just wanted to show off some puppies.

And i am sure he doesnt know the legalities. Plus here in SA we can have undesexed dogs ! Can also breed them if we choose to do so ! And they dont have to be microchipped !

Very cute pups too.

We have a Kelpie x Border Collie and she is awesome.

But see, alot of people won't have a problem with that, I certainly don't. I understand alot of working lines can't be used for show, and as such are not usually bred from ANKC breeders etc. Personally, I would prefer working lines wherever possible, as to me they are the 'true' breed, rather than alot of dumbed down show dogs nowadays.

When I get my German Shepherd, I will be getting him from Raennik. They are still a registered kennel, but have no interest in showing. As such they breed around once a year, and many of their puppies go off to be police dogs, or active family homes. I want a working line dog as I wish to participate in tracking, high level obedience, agility, guard dog training, and schutzhund with him, I absolutely believe a show line dog wouldn't be anywhere near as capable or willing, or have the right drive.

I would still consider a back yard breeder, ONLY if proper health checks have been done and they know what their doing. Not just breeding for the hell of it, or god forbid because 'she accidentally fell pregnant'. These are the people who shouldn't have dogs.

u need to pay attention to what people are writting on YOUR thread

hahahahaha you wonna no something miss 2 that was the only post i havnt read !sorry!
and thanks mrs 1 lol ur a champ

serious bulionz? lol thats preety funny ;)

May well be educational, but a lot of people are commenting on his situation. He is 14 !!

Want to start a thread on back yard dog breeding and the legalities go for it.

Plus here in SA we can have undesexed dogs ! Can also breed them if we choose to do so ! And they dont have to be microchipped !

I don't see them aimed at him personally?

There is no legalities to back yard breeding thats why its called BYB. :p

It’s not "Your" choice to breed if you choose to do so, that’s very irresponsible and selfish on your part. You should be considering your pets first & foremost as you are the one that should be caring for their health & well being , you are responsible for them. Same goes with any pups.

yer i know whitey, dont worry hes getting desexed because male dog's get (you know)always humping things he has'nt yet ,but that was his 1st time and never again lol.

I mean it doesnt matter what the discussion is, everyone has their own opinion, just sometimes on APS they dont come across as opinions they come across harsh !! (can almost see the finger pointing as they are speaking)

How about Backyard breeders of Reptiles then ??

Should every reptile have a full vet health check before breeding, do you condone people selling reptiles that have not been to the vet for a health check first ??

Maybe we should only buy from Reptile Stores and Registered Breeders, that have had all the appropriate health checks done on their animals before they breed them and sell them .........

There are certainly a number of cases of unhealthy reptiles being sold off !!

Hi Bulionz

Sorry this is long, but everyone's just putting up a few bits of info or opinion and it's probably not answering your questions.... so here goes mate! :)

The laws on breeding, microchipping, numbers of dogs you can keep etc. vary from state to state. Best place for information is your local council. If you look on your dogs' tags the name of the council should be on there, or maybe ask Mum or Dad. Your council probably has a website with info on dog registration, care, the local laws etc., so you can get some info there. They might have a link to the state or territory dog management authority which will once again have heaps of info.

As for the prefix thing...
Each state has what used to be a kennel club. Here in South Australia it's called DogsSA, previously the South Australian Canine Association. All those state and territory clubs or associations are affiliated with the ANKC (Australian National Kennel Council). When people who keep a new breed of dog want that breed recognised they have to apply to the state organisation. If the state organisation accepts the breed then the people who have those dogs submit those animals as being foundation stock. So with our border collies when the ANKC decided that border collies were a formal breed (as opposed to being black and white sheepdogs) the people who wanted to show their dogs as being what a border collie should look like submitted their dogs as foundation stock. The border collies bred by a farmer that work sheep brilliantly might be just as good or better than the ones put up as foundation stock, but once that foundation stock was accepted the "studbook" was closed. So in the case of my dumb but gorgeous Bailey he's a predigreed border collie, and his prefix is Busheyhall, so his registered name is Busheyhall Bluesboy. Gypsy, my intelligent and gorgeous border collie is not accepted by the ANKC people as a border collie because she's not pedigreed, but the farmer who bred her called his business Honeyvale, so she's said to be from Honeyvale lines. As well as the ANKC register of prefixes and pedigrees there are also various registers for working dogs, and farmers or stockmen who are looking for a good working border collie would look for a dog from good working lines.

Where the lines get blurred is that there's a hereditary brain disease called ceroid lipofuscinosis (CL) that some border collies carry. It's a nasty one where the dog gets a buildup of stuff that's like cholesterol in the brain, and a pup can seem perfect but then when it gets a bit older (around 1-2 years old) it may have seizures, loss of coordinated muscle movements, change in temperament, and sometimes problems with eyesight. These dogs don't usually survive past 26-28 months, and unfortunately there is no treatment or cure. The good news is that only about 3% of border collies in Australia have or carry the gene for CL, but that doesn't help if your pup is in the 3%. The ANKC breeders keep track of the family tree of every dog, so when they discover CL in their stock they can just stop breeding from those dogs. If you buy a BC from a registered breeder (one with a prefix) then legally the border collie pup you buy SHOULD be guaranteed free from having or carrying CL. With any other border collie you don't know. CL is very rare, and the vast majority of bc's are free of the disease, but if you want to be 100% sure then you go with a registered breeder.

Apologies again for the length of this post, but I think you've got more info now.

Last edited:
thanks alot jupiter
mum explained to me wat it was when she got home but u just help me twice as much thanks....and my dog the male his dad has papers but we took him cause the breeder is a freinds and he is the cruelest person in the world those poor animals dont even no wat food is and he was biggest so we got him lol ...o and he has been done by the rspca many times but they just go out and take all his pups and some adults but still let him have them these poor animal gessss he belts them and all, so we took him.the mum was brought from the pound and she is the sweetest dog ever and she was very skinny 11 kg she now wieghs about 20 so shes put on some weight plus feeding the pups and yes jupiter that was a great book u wrote then lol thanks and u made a good point ,,we will get a prefix when we get some dogs with papers

o sorry if its hard to read i was just trying to say wat happen in all different words and alot of u no that im a crap speller

No probs mate. I didn't want to overwhelm you with info but there was a bit to cover!

Well done on looking after your dogs and getting the female's weight back up. She's a border collie so she's your friend for life! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back