Adder Overfed Much?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I saw the other thread earlier, and while going through pictures I stumbled across this old one. It makes the other one's feed look tiny.

ThisAdderlovesBigmeals.jpg

Before anyone flames, no, the meal isn't as large as the picture makes it look.

I really wonder what is going through his mind right at that moment... If anything hes probably thinking "This is going to be a long night" or "Honey get me my stretchy pants"

might need to loosen the belt and pop the button after the one!

You cruel basterd Sdaji :cry:

Just in case you're serious, check the line under the picture. It's a camera trick, the rodent looks much larger than it actually was. It's the same trick often used to make snakes look larger than they are relative to reference objects (such as people). The rodent is closer to the camera lens, which distorts the image. This one was accidental, but it's a very good example of it, and quite deceptive.

Just in case you're serious, check the line under the picture. It's a camera trick, the rodent looks much larger than it actually was. It's the same trick often used to make snakes look larger than they are relative to reference objects (such as people). The rodent is closer to the camera lens, which distorts the image. This one was accidental, but it's a very good example of it, and quite deceptive.
So are you saying the mouses head isnt bigger than the snakes?

So are you saying the mouses head isnt bigger than the snakes?

Every thread on APS seems to turn into conflict, even when it's a harmless "here is a picture" thread. Even after my Adders get meals as large as I am prepared to give them, they still lure wanting more. I don't recall that particular feed, when I took the picture I just thought it was another Adder feeding picture, it's not until I saw it (probably days or weeks later) that I saw how deceptive it looked.

Last edited:
I wasn't having a go at you, i was wondering if it is an optical illusion or is its head bigger than the snakes like it appears?

I wasn't having a go at you, i was wondering if it is an optical illusion or is its head bigger than the snakes like it appears?
Sorry but i think he was not having a go at you by the sounds of it, once again great pic =-D

Haha, no worries, I suppose I am just jaded by what gets posted :) Sorry!

I can't recall that specific feed, actually, I don't even know which Adder it was, or if it was mine (it looks like a Djarra, I think I know which litter it was from, I bought some from that litter but later sold them, and know others with Adders from the same litter), or if I am the one who fed it. If it was as large as it looks I would remember it though. I vaguely remember seeing it on the computer for the first time and being very surprised, but I think it was about two years ago. I'm sure it was well over a year. Looking at it now, I am having trouble seeing how it could have been a remotely reasonable meal, but there you go, it just shows how much a camera can lie.

If it goes down and stays down it's a good feed! It sometimes takes some experienced judgment to feed a maximal-size prey item, so if you've got the adders feeding as such, well done! Just make sure you never end up with a death adder like the one in an old issue herpetofauna that had died trying to swallow a massive water dragon.

I don't feed them anywhere near as much as they want to eat. When I was a little less experienced with Adders I would feed them meals I thought were a little on the large side, and they would continue luring for more, so I sometimes gave them more, and thought I had gone much too far, and then they would still be luring for more! When I was raising my first few Adders I found it very difficult to resist feeding them when they were luring, because it was just so much like a cute puppy begging for food, and I was a bit of a sucker :lol:

I remember that Herpetofauna article, it's puzzling that the snake didn't regurgitate the dragon.

It might have tried and not been able to because of the dorsal spines? I thought the same thing. Adders, they seem so stupid and ignorant of their surroundings, but are so clever and attuned to every captive nuance. I am fascinated by them.
Like most snakes I guess :)

Yeah, the size and spines would explain it, but then again, when babies eat each other it's not unusual for both to die. Go figure! I don't know if I'd call them ignorant of their surroundings, they sit there motionless for days, weeks or months on end, but they are constantly alert, watching, waiting for the right moment to strike. I am fascinated by them too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back