new to herp/snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickydrop

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What To Do, New.

Where to begin?

As I Have a tank, with normal fluro's.

getting a snake is next part but im not sure with the license do you get the license then apply for the snake, movement papers?? im not 100% sure.

then also i got the tank but know i need heat depending on the snake, water food and temp gauges. but yeah best ways and such.

sorry guys its noob questions but i want to do it right.

Last edited:
Apply for your license first. No one will sell you a snake until you have a license.
This link should take you right to it if you want to apply online.

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/rwl/faces/jsp/login.jsp

Research and decide what type of snake you want, then do more research and find out what it needs with regards to temperature and enclosure size, although a baby will only need a click-clack for a while.

When you decide what type of snake you want, go through the For Sale ads on here and see if anyone has what you are after.

In my opinion, stay away from pet shops, partly because they are limited in what they can sell you, partly because you will pay a lot more for it through a pet shop, and partly because I just don't think pet shops should sell live animals :)

Have fun!

Welcome Mickeydrip,

I would second what Michelle has told you.

You have already started at the best place. I have discovered more about reptiles on this site than any where else.

Search around and tap into the combined wisdom and knowledge of the members of this forum and you will be up and away.

so what are you looking at getting first? once you choose u can get your tank set up. must think about size of snake for tank. Make sure ur lights are covered and tank is exscape proof. i think the best advice is to research first so u know what ur in for....and u can make ur snake at home (correct temps, substrate, food ect). also knowing ur reptiles behaviour... then u will know if anything is up.... but like womapyth said there's always someone here too answer or advise.... even, caresheets and pictures of setups so look around. let us know what kind of snake you want maybe then will have some info for u.... good luck with the application. you should get answer straight away on line...
:)

thank you guys, ill get the license now, i was thinking first a green tree snake or python but then research showed me its not the best idea cost wise and i was after more a playful snake but not such a bigger one like a carpet. i was thinking about those stimsons helikon has for sale as he still has 3 and i like them and havent read any negatives about them yet.

Mickydrop dont buy from pet shop's look here or herp trader and stimpson's are a great start but be warned once you start you wont stop,i started with one now i have 5 and still looking for my 6th enjoy you'll love it

Mickydrop dont buy from pet shop's look here or herp trader and stimpson's are a great start but be warned once you start you wont stop,i started with one now i have 5 and still looking for my 6th enjoy you'll love it

hehe i could see that happening easy. no im hoping to get these stimpsons as i stated before, i just have to work out hours. umm ill be moving next year possibly or the one after and was wondering how people have found renting places with snakes to go down as an aplication for pets?

My daughter and her partner rent, and have moved a couple of times.
What they have found is that no one cares too much about you having reps.
Real Estate agents and owners (in their experience) tend to care more about fish tanks, as they are potentially very heavy and could do damage.
Not sure you would even have to state that you have them?? Will ask my daughter later today.

Hey all.. I am the daughter that ShellFisch is talking about.. We haven't told any of our property managers about our snakes (or gecko's).

I have a friend who used to be a property manager and I also did some research and basically snakes are classed as a 'hobbie' not as pets. Generally they can't say anything as snakes are not going to be out and about spreading fur and fleas.

If all else fails when you have an inspection cover the enclosures with a sheet.. the property managers ARE NOT allowed to touch anything when they come for an inspection.. of course you can only police this if you are home for the inspection.

I will see what other info i can get from my friend :)

thank you very much guys for this and love the blue gekko's. i was just wondering about it as i would of had to keep it in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back