New enclosure setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AidanOBrien

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have only just set yp my new home for a Het Darwin she is just starting to get settelled in. I was told from a frend who keeps two coastals that a good sorce of ground heating is a thick slab of solid granite heated by an above heat sorce with no heat mat, as the stone will stay hot enought to pass throught the night. The only concern I have is that is the granite going to be a haven for germs as it is a porise stone and would another type of stone be a better pick.

I have been unable to find a tile that is thick enough to keep the heat in as most tiles are only up to an inch thick I thought that if I was to seal the granite with a sealer the germs couldnot penatrate the sealer but most sealers contain chemicles that I dont think I want in with my snake. any one got any advise on stone heating

maybe just watered down pva glue as a sealer (non toxic of course). as i seal my fake rocks with that and makes it waterproof so i cant imagine germs getting through like 5-6 coats.. just wash it off once a fortnight.. hope it helps

i use an upturned terracotta pot plant base. works a treat!

oh and bunnings sells stuf called pondtite, non toxic, especially for ponds and terracotta pots etc.

Could you grout some tiles togeather,like slate or something ,may work.then you could custimise the shape if you were handy with a grinder.;)

Yer I think I will look into a large peice of slate stone as it is pretty dence type of stone . But not too sure of the pva as it is a water saluable product. Just worried that it may habour germs as it is cleaned. Thanks for all the responce to this.

mate, there is really no need for the stone...
just a heat light during the day, nothing at night

maybe just watered down pva glue as a sealer (non toxic of course). as i seal my fake rocks with that and makes it waterproof so i cant imagine germs getting through like 5-6 coats.. just wash it off once a fortnight.. hope it helps

wow pva is water proof ... thats news to my ears, last time i checked it was water based and desolves when comes into contact with water.

Yer that what I thought too must have come a long way since school. Marble I had not thought of this its a heave stone so it , yer for sure would hold some heat and look great in there as well.

i have a really nice, thick piece of slate in with my sand monitors and it holds heat for hours. when i did a big clean the other week i took the stone out and left it on the floor for who knows how long and it was still very hot to touch.

wow pva is water proof ... thats news to my ears, last time i checked it was water based and desolves when comes into contact with water.

Once it cures it will repel water. Knowing is half the battle...G.I.Joe!

Have you considered a paving tile? Up to 2 inch thich I believe, assorted sizes available at any landscape supply.

As mentioned though, not really necessary. Especially in North Qld. As a wise man once said to me, this is why you see electrical cords all over the roads at night, snakes with their heating blankies! Seriously though, overnight temps up your way are fine year round for most species.

mate, there is really no need for the stone...
just a heat light during the day, nothing at night

Best piece of advice in this thread. Get your day temps and day lengths right and there will be no need for night heating. You want to encourage basking after sun up, not offering heat at night encourages this behaviour.

the terracotta tray i use, doesnt hold heat for too long after the heat lamp goes off, but i feel like its nicer for him to curl up on than just newspaper.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back