New Enclosure Setup - First Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Viper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi again, I've now decided to get my first snake and it will be a 1 1/2 year old Coastal Carpet. I have also purchased a used white melamine enclosure through eBay which measures 900x600x350mm. I think my decision to purchase a used enclosure was not the best but I will ensure it is cleaned very well before use. Please note: I will not have this enclosure until tomorrow morning 02/11/2013.

My first question is in relation to heat sources and thermostats...

This unit comes with a heat lamp + 7W heat pad as well as another light fitting, I presume for 'daylight' lighting all previously installed. It also has a built in thermostat, not digital but it's a unit mounted on the inside of the enclosure in the middle of the back wall. It is white box with a simple dial for the set temperature. Will this thermostat work and is it ideal? Being in the center of the tank what should the set point be for this snake? I have just purchased a basic battery power digital thermometer to check the actual temp in the enclosure. Do I use only the heat lamp or the heat pad ? I've also been advised by a reptile salesman to keep the "cold" end at 26'C, is this correct ?

My initial though was to replace the back board of the enclosure and get a digital thermostat (as recommended by others) but I have been advised against them. I would like the best budget option I can get but it must do the right job. I will not go cheap and have it fail...

My ideas were 1) Eco Tech Professional Thermostat (eBay), 2) Digital Thermostat and Timer 0-50C ATC Brand Reptile Aquarium Brooder Home Brew (my mates choice, eBay) 3) Microclimate Ministat 300 or similar....

In relation to bedding or substrate I would appreciate your input as well.

What I fear most was rip off sales at retail shops. I don't want to purchase items that are over kill such as a $1300 tank fully setup as well as a $400 coastal hatchling if you know what I mean...

Thanks again for you time everyone, I would appreciate your forthcoming comments. Ideally I wanted to sort the enclosure tomorrow (Sat) and possibly introduce the snake late Sunday afternoon. Otherwise I'll introduce it next weekend...

I know I have plenty to learn....

I can't answer all your questions but I can advise you to thoroughly clean out the enclosure with bleach or F10. Give it a good rinse and put it in a sunny spot to dry.
You don't know what bacteria or diseases may be in the enclosure. I wouldn't put your coastal in it straight away. Test all your electricals first, get you heat correct, etc. I'd be waiting another week before putting him in.

As for a supplier, I use Reptile Direct.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along to help you more.

all the best.

Okay, I now have the enclosure... It's an official extreme pets labelled enclosure measuring 900*600*600 mm in white Melamine. I have cleaned everything in the enclosure using F10 and have now started the tank for testing...

The thermostat unit is an IMIT and based on my trial over 5 on/ off cycles the unit seems to hold a temp of +/- 2'C with a set point of 30'C which is the IMIT maximum set point. The worst results were a max of 33'C and a low of 27'C as indicated by a basic digital thermometer setup right beside the thermostat on the back wall...

Now my question is with those temperature settings be ok

Last edited:
yeah they should be fine as long as the cool end is around 26 ish . just my person opinion and im sure many people will happily disagree with me but if your costal is already 1.5 years old this inclosure could start getting to small in 6 months or a years time . any way good luck with your husbandry and enjoy the fun of being a reptile keeper !

I have now prepped the tank for the snakes arrival next weekend and I am not happy... I now have an infa red globe 100W and a 13W Exo Terra UV globe and substrate coconut husk installed. The IMIT unit tested "OK" at the center of the back wall (beside the IMIT unit using the digital thermometer) but with the thermometer now reading temps near the bottom of the tank (warm end) it ranges from 29.50'C down to 26.00'C... Any thoughts ??? I feel very frustrated...

In addition the cage around my heat lamp is very hot at the bottom, it has about 30mm clearance from the globe, is this ok ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back