Snappy Diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captive_fairy

Reaction score
Ok, so I've had my girl for one and a half years...She used to be so calm and really good, but the last few months she has become really snappy, it seems I cannot touch her without her biting, which is becoming a problem as I have two young kids, which love the snake...
So, does anyone have any ideas as to why she might be acting this way, and any suggestions to help calm her down again?

I have read a few similar threads recently most people are saying it could be because of the cooler weather. Or it might just have grown out of the I'm small stage and thinks that it can eat you.

Are they just defensive strikes or does it actually grab on and have a go?

I'm having the same problem with my boy. I've been advised to feed him more frequently...about once a week. I was feeding him once a fortnight.

Are they just defensive strikes or does it actually grab on and have a go?
She hasn't actually got me yet...she's fine coming up and smelling me, but the second I touch her she goes

I'm having the same problem with my boy. I've been advised to feed him more frequently...about once a week. I was feeding him once a fortnight.
I might give that a go because I'm only feeding her once a fortnight too

i wouldn't feed her once a week, i feed my diamonds once a fortnight and they're doing great, diamonds are really food responsive so they will over-eat if given the chance, it's good to feed diamond less frequently then all other carpets, over-feeding diamonds can lead to many problems, they say a hungry diamond is a happy diamond (to i degree), how does she go when she's out of her cage, she might have built up a bit of a cage defence, i have one diamond that thinks he's getting fed everytime i open his cage so i give him a little tap with the hook so he know's i'm not in his cage to feed him, it seems to work for me.

I have found some diamonds at this time of the year when they are wanting to feed alot
before the cooler weather comes on will be very excited to see you and want to grab anything
which moves near it. This usually happens with the most quiet snakes as they have no
fear of you and associates you with food.
With a bit of luck and a couple of good sized feeds it should settle down in a month or two.

i find my diamonds do as andrew described. get a little bit pacey within the enclosure and more eager to take food... id power a few large feeds before winter

As a few have said, I would say, your worm needs a couple of good feeds b4 cooling, which I presume you will be doing..

is it if you touch her anywhere or is it just the one spot that when you touch it,she bites you ? she doesnt have any raw looking spots or injurys.its probaly a long shot but thought i'd suggest it.
cheers shaun

my carpet was nice and calm when i first got her but for about a month she is getting really cage protective this is telling me that she is maturing and she can go things bigger now she is bigger its just how they are they can grow out of it and they might not just depends you really cant tell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back