spotted with an identity crisis...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funkstaa

Reaction score
I think my spotted is having identity issue's if I hold him with two hands - letting him roam and go hand over hand - he constricts himself around my arm like a boa, he squeezes fairly tight and it was pretty tricky to get him off today.
(thank gowd I didn't get a bigger snake to start off with!)
Is this him saying he's had enough or him trying to be dominant?
If I hold him with one hand so I can clean out his enclosure he's fine, but I'm worried I'm not supporting him enough, does anyone have any handling tricks they can share, I want to be sure I'm not hurting him.
Also since I bought him he's had an oily look to him - reminds me of an olive is this normal for a spotted or could something be wrong?
-pics aren't the best as they were one handed with an eos and one handed focusing isn't easy : p

They can squeeze tight when they are a little angry. So you cannot let go too quick and they can whack you or they just need to hang on a little better.
Having a sheen on their scales is normal. That is why antaresia used to be in the family Liasis...same as olives.

Maybe use 2 hands and hold him palms up with your hands open
so he has more surface area to move.

looks like your gripping him like a tennis racquet handle in the pics..lol

mine constaict like that too occasionally.

Maybe your holding him too often..?

Last edited:

What i got told from a professional was that when they hold tight sometimes they are gathering heat from where they hold tight..

If you put your snake around your neck it will definatley hold tight because it is the wormest part of your bady

Thanks for clearing up the oily look thing Fay I was starting to think something might be wrong...and there's no issue with me letting go he has a tight hold of my forearm...
Hallie when I hold him the way you suggested that's when he tries constricting me it's only when I have him in one hand that he settles (although looking at the pics again I see your point in one it does look like I have him a bit too tight)...
I hardly hold him so I don't think it's a too often issue though.

when ever my spotteds start to constrict , they normally follow up with a bump and bite [ bump into a finger once or twice , then slowly open there mouth and grab hold] i have put this down to them smelling something yummy on me and they are hungry.

my spotted will do the same thing Funkstaa. In my case, i have found it happens when he feels like he going to fall. If i place him on the gound, still hanging onto my arm i instantly feel him relax and he lets go. :)

Yeah sounds like he's just making sure he doesn't fall, though he could also be angry about being called Mr Fluffy Pants ;D.

It could be the lighting, but he looks really dark like my guys do about a week before the milky eye stage of a shed cycle.

Maybe your holding him too often..?

Heya man I will soon be owning a Spotted Python.

What would you call Holding/Handling too Much?

I was hoping on being able to give him say 10 - 20 minutes every second day or there bouts.

Nothing specific, ya know some days depending on my schedule might not get him out but other times I might be able to do so every day but yeah definately dont wanna Upset or harm him.

its up to the snake m8.. some dont mind being handled, some don't like it at all.but your time frame sounds fine. i personally handle mine at least 1 hr each a day..only one is a little snappy at times.the rest are pussies.or ill pop em in my jacket pocket while i clean up etc..

Chuck him in a tub when your cleaning if your worried.
I'm sure your single hand can support him better than a thin branch.
I wouldn't stress

Schizmz.

Thanks for the response dude.

I drive Trucks during the day so between geting home and going to bed is a span of about 4 - 5 hours for me.

Deduct from that, cooking eating, bathing and my other hobbies and such.....

Pestering my snake repeatedly as some may see it is not likely to be an EVERY day affair.

The one I am buying was hand fed by the owner and returned to good health after the original owner he recieved it from neglected it and it was underfed.

So generally it is quite used to handling.

I have a tub next to me just incase Slats, but when I'm cleaning is really the only time I want to be handling him, I love him to bits but I'm not very confident with him yet...
And agree'd he's prob pissed about the name in my defence when he bought him his name was Brad and that's my brother in law so hubby started calling him Fluffy, I think it's lame so I took it to the next level of calling him mr fluffy pants to pay the other half out lol : p
Also is it ok if he's in his hide 24/7?.. he has a branch but still hasn't ever used it the only time he explores his viv is when I put him back in after cleaning and I don't so much think it's exploring I think it's more finding a good hide.

I have heard that after cleaning the cage its good to pop a little bit of their poop back into a corner of the cage so they can recognise the smell and thus remain familiar with the cage as their territory.

ANYONE???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back