Renting rant!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can afford an expensive hobby you can afford private rent, that was my point !

And that mother down the shelter is probably on the 5 year waiting list, because of people like you who now really dont need to be using up the government houses....

Government housing is not just for people raising families, it's for anyone who is eligible for it and what I do with my spare cash is my business.

It's not my problem there are such long waiting lists, it's the governments lack of planning and management.

I certainly don't, so why don't you point in out to me.

The Child Support Agency protected my son's father's rights instead of looking after my son. If they had made him pay child support, maybe I wouldn't have needed to take government support in the first place.

You come across bitter that your Ex manipulated the system to his advantage yet you seem quite proud to be doing the same thing yourself! I guess your son would of learnt well over the years with two expert manipulators as parents.

Government housing is not just for people raising families, it's for anyone who is eligible for it and what I do with my spare cash is my business.

It's not my problem there are such long waiting lists, it's the governments lack of planning and management.

I agree lack of planning management and rules for getting people out who no longer need it !

So your son is grown up and moved out now ......

My son is 17 and yes he's moved out, but that doesn't mean he won't move back in.

Going on my son's father's income over the past 17 years, he still owes me $1000's in child support and if the government won't do their job to collect it, then they can reimburse me by paying some of my rent.

My ex cheated the system for years by lying and not putting tax returns in (he worked for himself) but there were even years when they had his tax return proving how much he earned. They said I should have been paid 18% of that, but when I asked them to collect it from him, their answer was...'Sorry, he's already spent it'. I had to struggle for years and go without and now I don't and I don't feel one bit sorry about it.

Last edited:
You come across bitter that your Ex manipulated the system to his advantage yet you seem quite proud to be doing the same thing yourself! I guess your son would of learnt well over the years with two expert manipulators as parents.

Yes I am bitter and I have every right to be.

The difference is, he hid money, he lied, he didn't put tax returns in, he did cash-in-hand work and didn't declare it.

I on the other hand don't lie and I follow the rules. If I wasn't entitled to be here, then I wouldn't be. That is not manipulating the system, that's just playing by the rules.

Ahhh you see, my son's deadbeat dad has had no influence over my son as he only saw him for about a week all up over his entire life and hasn't been in contact with him for the past 5 years. All his choice by the way....he preferred the bottle than being a father.

No you don't feel sorry about it because there's no time left after feeling sorry for poor old you. Your arguments sound like something i would expect from a 16 year old bludging on the dole down the local mall trying to blame others for his predicament

Where? Into a Government funded home? Let the cycle continue......

Nope :D

He's out paying rent with a few mates and he works full-time doing an apprenticeship.

Funny how my son has turned out so well even though I live in Housing Commission and yet most of my friends and relatives children have turned out to be bums.

No you don't feel sorry about it because there's no time left after feeling sorry for poor old you. Your arguments sound like something i would expect from a 16 year old bludging on the dole down the local mall trying to blame others for his predicament

Hey, I don't feel sorry for myself, far from it. I have a great lifestyle thank you very much and I've never once blamed anyone for my situation.

Yes, I blame the CSA for not collecting the right amount of child support that I was legally entitled to but I gave up worrying about that years ago. I simply feel justified in accepting government help now due to the fact that they let me down for years. The CSA was put in place to protect the rights of children not deadbeat dads who don't want to pay child support.

I'm sorry Jewly that seems like a cop-out, if you can afford rent and your living in housing commision then you are attributing to waiting lists. I don't think its a bad thing that your there lots of people need help at certain stages of there lives and you may still need it now but if you don't really need it well then you could think of some poor young girl who is 17 years younger than you and is in the same boat you were in back then, just a thought..

Yes I am bitter and I have every right to be.

he hid money, he lied, he didn't put tax returns in, he did cash-in-hand work and didn't declare it.

umm.... 2 wrongs dont make a right. and wat u r doing is wrong.

Will

Last edited:
I'm sorry Jewly that seems like a cop-out, if you can afford rent and your living in housing commision then you are attributing to waiting lists. I don't think its a bad thing that your there lots of people need help at certain stages of there lives and you may still need it now but if you don't really need it well then you could think of some poor young girl who is 17 years younger than you and is in the same boat you were in back then, just a thought..

Whilst I might be able to afford to rent privately at this very moment in time, I have to also think of my future. I'm single and I plan to stay that way and I have very little in superannuation. I have some health issues, as well as depression, and I worry constantly when I'm out living in private rental that I'm going to lose my home and not be able to find something else.

Something people need to understand too, is that only a couple or a single person with one child is entitled to my unit and most people who are on the waiting list for homes are people that are needing a house with more bedrooms so by me moving out, I'm not doing anything to help those people. The waiting list for a 2 bedroom unit isn't very long at all, and I only waited 6 months for my unit.

Anyway, I'm tired of this. I don't have to justify why I'm here. I'm here lawfully and I feel fine about living here and don't care what other's think.

I'm sorry, but at 13 years of age, I hardly think you know enough of the world to even comment about something like this.

I might only b 13, but my parents are 47 and 51, and i talk to adult friends, so i think i would have an alright idea of this sorta stuff.

Will

Wow what an interesting thread. Probably not the best for me to be reading atm after having just had the worst week with Centrelink. Now I personally HATE the fact that I get money from Centrelink. I HATE going into the office because quite frankly, in my town, it scares the hell out of me most days.

Everytime i call them I fell like an absolute low life, basically begging them for money. If I could have managed the last 4 yrs without them I certainly would have, but being a full time uni student and having to live away from home doesnt really give me much choice.

But now, as I finish up my degree I have found myself in a little pickle.... I am no longer considered to be a full time student as I only need to do 2 subjects to complete my degree (YAY). I AM, however, able to do casual days teaching (doing a teaching degree obviously). So i don't qualify for youth allowance as I'm not a full time student but I also dont qualify for the Newstart (job seeker) payment as I am not currently able to actively look for full time employment.

Now for the last 10 weeks I have not actually received my Youth Allowance as I worked and earnt too much, which is fair enough.... if i can support myself even if it is ONLY rent, food and bills then I am happy to do that, glad to do it. But.... I am only working casually. If i dont work, like say in the next 2 weeks while it is school holidays, I earn nothing.... but still have the same rent, food, bills to deal with. I also do not smoke, gamble or drink and have not spent money on something considered a LUXURY or LIFESTYLE item in a very very long time.

I bet I dont qualify for government housing. That little 2 bedroom unit would do me wonderfully!

More on the topic of the rant. My landlord is a real gem. I had to apologise for shouting at my real estate girl (poor thing) because I was sick of being shafted by this guy. Huge cracks in the wall - fine, I'm not fussy. Leaking/dripping taps - fine, I'm not liable for excess water. Gaping hole in the ceiling where the cornice is coming away from the wall, letting spiders and all sorts of creepy crawlies into my house - may deserve a little attention. Leaking roof through exhaust fan above cooktop - ummm i think that needs attention. Not only did the landlord make me wait almost a MONTH before he came to look himself (wouldnt send a tradie) but he came at a time when I couldnt be there and didnt even fix the leak.

When the rain returned I started at the real estate again. They contacted him and guess what he said..... He couldnt see a problem... WELL OF COURSE NOT!!! IT WASNT RAINING THEN!!!

So after my little rant to the poor little girl at the real estate it got fixed. Needless to say... AS SOON as I am working full time again I will be saving EVERY CENT to put towards a deposit for a house of my own!!!

Wow Sorry! Huge post but 2 issues to deal with!!

I have gone to bad with rentals, of course I would never tell them about my reptiles (an arrangement that suits us both). When I came to Sydney, it was extremely hard finding a place, and go through all the inspections etc. After two months looking I hit a particular good streak whereby I applied for 11 places (surely I should be able to get one) and got offered 9. My boss got sick of getting calls wanting a reference check lol.

Last edited:
holy crap wiz fiz your parents are old compared to mine im 15 an my mums 34 dads 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back