Renting rant!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kitah $220 a WEEK? omg thats so lucky!! canberra rental prices are disgusting you will be looking at paying up wards of $300 for a one bedroom flat in a horrible area here!

when my ex and i rented our old place we applied and were denied and we know for a fact that we were the only people to put in an application but the owner just didnt like a young couple.
i ended up contacting them and offering another $15.00 a week..... we were approved.

Ahh, one of the reasons I hate cities! lol. I only actually have to pay $110 a week, as someone else shares the unit. So its pretty darned good. I don't need a big backyard, so the small yard works perfectly for me- it easily fits turts tub, is out of sight from the front, and easy to maintain! I also love that this unit has NO carpet so I just have to sweep hehe :)

In most cases the amount of rent you are paying would barely cover the interest on the loan for that property, let alone rates and insurance.

I posted something similar above. Some rent seems excessive, but most aren't too bad when you factor in the costs the home owner is paying

Braid wood? na not far enough...... cooma?
Cooma has beaches in a 2 to 5min walking distance?

Braidwood is about 1.5hrs away from my place. once the new road is in it will be even quicker.
(there is a hint there)

Back on topic tho,
I have been told by a realestate agent that the landlord doesn't have much money so they can fix what I asked...
Thought it was a bit weird that the RE/agent was letting me know what the landlords money situation is.

The house we are in now we had to push for we have been renting different houses for the past 6 years never been late on rent always got our bond back never done any damage. We got knocked back so rang the agent told them they could come and inspect the house we were iiving at to see how we live and offered am extra 10.00 per week and it worked. We never told them we have snakes only the 2 dogs and cover over the enclosures if we have an inspection I rang consumer affairs and they said snakes are like fish tanks cause they are locked up and not roaming the can't so damage like a dig or cat and we don't have to tell them. Story short people want money offer them more give them rent slips from current house and don't tell them about the reptiles

I'm lucky that I live in a Dept of Housing townhouse. I only pay $161.00 a week, am able to do whatever I like to the place basically and they can never kick me out as long as my income stays under $80,000.

People often think badly of Dept of Housing homes (and the people who live in them) but I would never give this place up. Most of my neighbours are longterm and probably half are elderly so they make no noise. I only get 1 inspection a year and that's only a maintenance inspection and they are only here for about 5 mins. I'm able to have pets, maintenance issues are dealt with promptly and I've had both my kitchen and bathroom replaced since I've been here. Currently they are building me a brand new fence and shortly will be building me a carport.

I'm lucky that I live in a Dept of Housing townhouse. I only pay $161.00 a week, am able to do whatever I like to the place basically and they can never kick me out as long as my income stays under $80,000.

People often think badly of Dept of Housing homes (and the people who live in them) but I would never give this place up. Most of my neighbours are longterm and probably half are elderly so they make no noise. I only get 1 inspection a year and that's only a maintenance inspection and they are only here for about 5 mins. I'm able to have pets, maintenance issues are dealt with promptly and I've had both my kitchen and bathroom replaced since I've been here. Currently they are building me a brand new fence and shortly will be building me a carport.

gee lucky you!
i thought department out housing homes were for the poor, not the lucky,...!!

I have family members going through the same troubles..... Went for a rental property and they were the only ones who went for it.... They gave all their info and was told they would have an answer the next week and they were the only people applying for the place.... waited over a week with no reply phone call and so they called the realestate and were told the application was unsuccessful due to owners choice with no other reason. But then this person got her mum to ring the realestate and ask if there had been any applications yet and she was told yes there was one but the people had to withdraw their application due to personal circumstances. This person is so cranky as she didnt withdraw her application but was told she wasn't successful...

I am sure these real estate agents aren't there to help anyone but themselves... But do they realise they aren't getting paid while no one is living in the property so it is in their best interest to get tennants into vacant houses!!!

Yeah real estates are frustrating. I was looking for a house to rent a while ago and the woman said that the other housemate's applications were filled out too messily and if she had of seen it in a pile of applications they would have gone straight to the bottom of the pile (they're both males FFS, what does she expect?) so I had to get them to fill out new applications neatly and then I made up a cover and put them all neatly presented in a folder and stuff.. :rolleyes:

We applied for houses which said pets allowed, I listed that I had snakes and specified they were in escape proof enclosures (just incase) and we were denied from SOO many houses because of them.. next time I will be omitting that little detail.

They eventually found us a house 4 days before we had to move out of our old house, cutting it VERY fine lol.

Love this place now though, the owners are great and are happy to do things for the house (put up curtain rods, put in more power points etc.).

gee lucky you!
i thought department out housing homes were for the poor, not the lucky,...!!

Nah, we're not poor.....we're lucky!!! :D

We're the smart ones that realise that once you've got a Dept of Housing place, you can never be kicked out which is a huge worry when you're privately renting. We pay $100's less each week so we have more disposable income to spend on things we want and we don't have to put up with landlords who want to do endless inspections each year and who constantly put up the rent.

My rent usually goes up about $2 a week each year which is nothing, maintenance issues are dealt with within 2 weeks and I'm able to do whatever I want to the place within reason and they never say a word about it cause they're just happy that someone is looking after the place well.

2 bedroom house backyard, 4 car undercover, $155 got to love newcastle rent prices

sounds like you could afford to pay rent, with so many single mums in hotel rooms/the street(homless) these are the ppl that really need these places..

sounds like you could afford to pay rent, with so many single mums in hotel rooms/the street(homless) these are the ppl that really need these places..

I have been a single mother for the past 16 years but my son recently moved out into his own place and they just don't kick you out of your home when your kids move out. If I did go and pay private rent I'd be working just to pay for rent, food and electricity and I'd have nothing left each week so stuff that.

A lot of those so-called homeless people wouldn't be homeless if they didin't drink, take drugs or gamble.

2 bedroom house backyard, 4 car undercover, $155 got to love newcastle rent prices
Where abouts in newy?
I was in redhead a few years back paying $240 for a 2 bed brick house and single lockup garage with a massive backyard.

A lot of those so-called homeless people wouldn't be homeless if they didin't drink, take drugs or gamble.

Yeah but not all of them are, you will notice alot of them are disabled. can't get work cos of the disability so can't get housing.

If I did go and pay private rent I'd be working just to pay for rent, food and electricity and I'd have nothing left each week so stuff that.

i feel the same about paying tax.........

When we moved to the sunny coast it was outright stupid trying to find a place AND the real estate agents were downright evil. One even rang me to say we had a place then claimed we didn't when I went to sign the papers (apparently as standard practise they would tell 2 or 3 renters the same story for every rental). Anyhow, eventually we answered a private ad, the owner liked the look of us ( and who could blame him :) ) and we got the place. After he agreed to lease the place he asked about pets and was cool re the pythons.
He got his money on time every time and we didn't even hear from him, the place was new and needed no repairs. When it came time to leave (as we had purchased a house) we gave him plenty of notice. One Sunday he rang and asked if I could show the place which of course I did. The couple were fascinated by my animals and leased the place. We moved out on Saturday, they moved in on Sunday and we had the entire bond in our hands on Monday.

I didn't really have time to read through the rest of the posts, but as for the initial post. I work for a Real Estate Company, not in Property Management but I do know a LOT about it. You can be denied based on ANY REASON he wants. Of course he isn't going to say "because she looks funny". But it is HIS house. He can choose WHOEVER he wants to live in it, whether he had 10000 applications and denied them all, or accepted the ONE that he received. It's all his choice. THe real estate company just manages how everything goes to make sure maintenance and other things are carried out correctly with proper procedures.

You have 6 months of rental references, if you want the property bad enough, reapply with EVERYTHING very obviously placed in their hands- then it's up to the owner again. Might i also add-- people say Real Estate Agents are bad, make you believe this, make you believe that. Yeah, how else are we gong to sell your bloody house.-- Not to mention there is a common misconception between Estate Agents and Property Managers.

Property Managers are the ones who don't do this, don't do that and take 6 weeks to answer you as to why you air-con STILL isn't working after 10 notifications.

Things get misplaced, people are stupid. All you can do is make it so what you give to them is IDIOT-PROOF. Everything in correct order, with forms of ID, references- The Lot.

Last edited:
I'm paying $75 a week and renting with my girlfriend, my sister and her boyfriend. 4 bedroom house (incl study) 3 carport, huge backyard, huge back shed. In total is $300/wk

Bull Creek, Western Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back