Enjoying New Hobby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerFish

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would come out of the shadows as it were. I've been reading here for the last couple of weeks since I brought home my first pet reptiles.

I live in the ACT, so am fairly limited as to what I can have initially. Out of the four species I can have for the first two years, I chose the Eastern Bearded Dragon. I wouldn't have chosen them if not for the restrictions. However, I am very glad I have them now. Easy to care for and very enjoyable pets. I have to keep them for 2 years before I can keep something other than the 4 species available to novices here, so I have started keeping an online journal of this experience. You can find it HERE if you are interested.

Here are a couple of photos of my two new Dragons. The first one is Booster and the second one is Lolly.

Booster.jpg

lolly-font-page.jpg

Thanks for that.

After the 2 years I am mainly hoping to have a great pair of Dragons! After that, I am thinking that I would like to try a snake. I haven't decided what species yet, but, am leading towards a childrens python at this stage. Plenty of time to make that decision after a lot of research :).

Hi TriggerFish and welcome :)

I didn't know that, about the laws in ACT :shock: How frustrating!

what a shame u have so many restriction!! :( having said that my beardies are my fave things in the whole world so u definately started with a great species! :)

Thanks for the welcome.

It's interesting to think that a few kms down the road is NSW where the rules are so different. I don't mind too much. Having the Dragons will give me a head start on experience I need to move on to other things when the time comes. Here's a link to the rule in the ACT if you are interested - LINKY

I had to be patient to get the Dragons in the first place. They came out of a deal with my wife where I had to lose at least 20kgs in weight. I have to say, so far, it has been well worth the effort. With that in mind, I reckon I will have the patience to wait out the 2 years and learn a lot along the way.

Cheers,

TF.

welcome Trigger!
nice to see some more canberians :)

wow, congrats on teh weight loss!!! thats awesome!!

Thanks again!

Up to around 25kg down now. Still more to go, but, very happy so far. Especially now I have the Dragons as a result.

hey mate congrats on the beardie and jees the ACT laws are strict that sucks you have to get a permit for each individual here in vic we have a basic wildlife licence which allows us to keep anything on the list in any number these are all easy to look after lizards and pythons and an advanced licence has difficult to look after lizards,venomous snakes and crocs,just thought you may find that interesting

lizardboii,
the ACT laws are very VERY frustrating!

I have to admit that seeing all the awesome critters here that I could have, I am starting to get a real itch. Even after the two years wait the restrictions here are still quite...well....restrictive as to what you can have.

WA licence

Way to go Trigger. Love beardies! They are on our cat 2 licence and a person under 18 with no prev experieence can get them. Seems our WA licencing is much more relaxed. I just obtained my category 3 no exp necessary. :shock: I need to do some more research before my final decision but I think I will start with beardies and then maybe a Stimson's Python. :D

I can recommend the Beardies. I've had them for a couple of months now and they have been great!

Congratulations on the beautiful beardies and the weight loss! i think i may use your wife's idea on my boyfriend lol! i also read your wonderful blog - keep up the posts and good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back