New jungle..advice please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briiiziii

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've just picked upp my new baby Jungle from alialiali..she's beautiful!
Thanks so much ali :)

I have read up heaps about all sorts of stuff but it's one thing reading a bit of paper or something on the interweb and theres another thing asking all you fantastic herpers out there on your own opinions!
What do ya say?

- When, how, what to use, how to thaw, and anything else about feeding that I should know.
- What's the best way of going about picking them up initially?
- How are your enclosures set up? Especially information on the electrical detail! I've got a habistat pulse prop thermostat and heat mat for now.... how about when she gets bigger what kind of lights should i get??
- Whats the best time of day to handle?
- After feeding, how long should you wait until she is ok to handle?

That's all i can think of for now, and i know they're silly questions, but i figured, id rather learn and be reassured from other people's mistakes and advice than find out the hard way :)

Any info would be great!
Yay!

so many questions haha.

enclousre for my 3 month old jungle is a tub with 2 dowls to climb on and a hide and a water bowl. heat mat for heating.

i use a hook to get her out but she still bites me every time i put her on my hand,

i thaw my rats in a bucket of warm water

i handle any time of the day really, mainly night time after work, i have heard they are more likly to bite then because that is when they are most active.

and i wait 2 days before handling after a feed.

when she gets bigger and steps up in enclosure size i am using a ceramic heat emitter and a pulse thermo. also will have a night light for obvious viewing at night.

thanks thats great :)
ive assumed that jungles are by nature a more bitey snake, however, when i viewed my little one before buying her we got her out fine at around 4pm, with bare hands, but this was done by the breeder not me. she has never bitten before so im hoping to keep it that way but i doubt it.
out of curiosity does it hurt much to get bitten, i dont mind geting bitten, i just dont want to react and in-turn hurt my snake by pulling away, etc.

and i know this is a wierd question also, but
- do jungles have a fairly general 'night time'? do they sleep at night ? or more active? when do they usually sleep?

thanks so much for the quick reply and help :)

- When, how, what to use, how to thaw, and anything else about feeding that I should know.

any tub will do but for my larger rats i cut the top off a 2ltr coke bottle gave it a good clean and its great for the bigger ones..i just hot tap water.
- What's the best way of going about picking them up initially?

Just reach on in and pick her up,better she gets use to your hands before she is big.. but you will find she quietens down alot about 8mnths+

- How are your enclosures set up? Especially information on the electrical detail! I've got a habistat pulse prop thermostat and heat mat for now.... how about when she gets bigger what kind of lights should i get??

i use a 150watt light and a uv fluro..temp gradieant is 22-34,35..running to a dimmer thermostat

- Whats the best time of day to handle?
Anytime imo.
- After feeding, how long should you wait until she is ok to handle?
At least 48hrs imo.
Jungles are great your going to have alot of fun 8)..welocme to the club.;)

oooo thanks! i think its really a mind of matter thing of picking her up initially, of course id rather not be bitten but i dont mind, im just really scared of reacting and hurting her in the process.

schizmz, do you notice anythign about their sleeping pattern so i know not to disturb her at certain times or do they just rest when they feel like it?

thanks for answering all my questions!
big help :)

I'm getting my first Jungle Carpet Python in about a fortnight so this thread has been very helpful. Can't wait to get it, just need to decide on if I'm getting a black and white or black and yellow.

Hi We have just bought home our new jungle. so hope my ramblings help

I was lucky in that the breeder I bought her from also has ratties I can get from him. I put the little baby ratties in individual zip lock bags in the freezer in order of size that way i can just pull one out and put it in a bowl of hot water from the tap but still inside the bag..this way you can test if it is defrosted through the plastic...without having to touch it......then when it is soft just reach in with your forceps to pull it our to give to snakey.

Handling........we handle every evening as a family. She seems to 'wake up' in the evening so we think it is a good time and we are trying to get a routine going so that hopefully she will start to get used to how we do things.

Getting her out of her click clack...we have listened to what everyone else says on the forum and just reach in and get her out...so far so good....she does tag a little bit but honestly I think kitten scratches hurt worse....and each time we handle her she seems better......we only handle for about 10 to 15 mins as she does get very alert and tense and as a baby i dont want her exhausting herself.

We are still working out our enclosure for when she is grown up but there is a new habistat radiator heater from the herp shop that looks excellent. Apparently it is a little more expensive but well worth it.

Something else we do....when it is cold and also overnight we cover the click clack with a towel...it just makes sure that she doesnt get too cold or has a cold draft.....as if they have a cold draft it can cause them to get sick...

Hope my ramblings help

Regards

Elizabeth

I wish I could just pick my girl up but she just strikes and won't stop if I hook out then I only cop a few bites

Should not all these questions be directed first to the breeder?????? after all he is the one who has been raising the jungle and therefor has more knowledge of the do's and don't s with that particular jungle.

I have :)
if you had read correctly, i just wanted to see how other people did it.
i wanted to get some other opinions also.
it doesnt hurt.

Na they rest whenever they feel like it.obv more active at night though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back