Getting my Jungle from mice to rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klownsnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I have recently purchased a 2+yo female B&G Jungle. She is a small girl for her age (about 380gms) as the previous owner fed her on adult mice every 10 days. I'm trying to get her onto rats to increase her size so I can have a go a breeding her next year. I'm not having luck so far, not even when scented with a mouse. Have tried day old chicken too but no go.Would fresh killed or live rats be any better to help switch her over ? Any tips ??

Cheers
K

Last edited:
Thanks hoppy .. have tried most of those but will keep plugging away ..

Cheers..

One method not mentioned is to skink scent your rat..catch a garden skink or two and pick them up by the tail. They will quickly drop the tail, then rub the open tail end over the rats head. This is how I got my oliv to upgrade to rat, and it worked first time..good luck!

something not mentioned in the thread that my breeder told me to do if Elvira went off her food was to cover the rat in really strong smelling chicken stock

Elizabeth

At that age it will be very hard to convert from mice
but you can try this, at the end of the week when it is time to
clean the mice tubs out put the shavings in a plastic bag,
and place the defrosted rat in there and shake, cheers

Hand feed a small rat just as its swallowing the last bit of mouse.

I have had more than enough snakes that have been stubborn mouse eaters when I have received them and what has worked for me in 99% of times is to put some rats in a container with the bedding from a mouse cage, leave them there for 10 minutes or so. Of course this is far easier when you breed your own rats and mice. You could try and get a handful of nice stinky mouse bedding from a local pet shop.

Thanks guys .. unfortunately I don't breed my own food (wife factor) so the bedding thing is out. The previous owner tells me she is coming up for a shed. My Big jungle gets a bit funny for a couple of weeks before he sheds but she realy just shows no interest, so I'll just have to suck it and see for now.

Cheers
K

i just didnt offer anything else and after 3 weeks she took the rats 8)..hunger is an amazing motivater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back