Uber Black Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jele69

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone recon this Bredli male has a more black than usual pattern on his head? He's only 4 months old so was wondering if that's a 'hatcho' thing or whether it will stay with him. The only reason I'm asking is because I've heard so many experienced herpers saying that Bredli have NO black at the head end...

...intriguing :?

Cheers!

Attachments

• bredli colour.jpg
    bredli colour.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 245
  • bredli colour side.jpg
    bredli colour side.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 28024.jpg
    28024.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 28033.jpg
    28033.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I have 6 bredli and even as hatchys they never looked like that , the frist pic makes it look like a coastal , the 2nd has bredli markings , but pass.

....any more thoughts appreciated! to be honest, i'll be a little annoyed if i've been sold a cross because i'm keen to breed them down the line!

cheers

Last edited:
Wow, that looks very much so like a coastal/bredli cross. I'm no expert, but in the face it doesnt even look like a bredli in the 2nd picture. Very much like a coastal. Did you view the parents?

The striping pattern is bredli, but the colour is unusual. While it could be likely it is crossed, maybe you should chase up some info from the breeder before making a final judgement, as anyone here can only give you a guestimate by looks none of us know the true history.

Yeah that's what's needed for a sure, i've been trying to contact her but she's not that easy to get a hold of! Thanks heaps for your comments

Wow, that looks very much so like a coastal/bredli cross. I'm no expert, but in the face it doesnt even look like a bredli in the 2nd picture. Very much like a coastal. Did you view the parents?
nope, didn't view the parents....perhaps not the smartest move ever?

the first two pics made me think coastal as well, as i have a 2yo coastal who looks just like that... but the third pic makes it look more bredli. hard to tell without seeing the parents... :-(

I guess going on colour at this stage is a bit dodgy...are there anyway other ways to distinguish the sub-species of carpets? ie scale size, number, shape etc?

I think it's just dodgy photography. Many classic bredli of that age are a pretty drab colour and nothing like the red/orange they grow into. You just don't see pictures of them cause no breeder wants you to think they have drab bredli. Here's a pic of one that kinda shows what i'm talking about. It could be a cross but i wouldn't go crying foul just yet.

DSCF3955.jpg

But no i don't ever recall seeing black on a young bredli's face.

I guess going on colour at this stage is a bit dodgy...are there anyway other ways to distinguish the sub-species of carpets? ie scale size, number, shape etc?

Yes theres a number of differences scale wise.. which you can easily use to key-out your animal.

Just based on the head scales alone, i would say carpet.

Here's one less close up. Looks more Bredli-like (i think) but still lots of black on the head...

Attachments

• bredli on clothes horse.jpg
    bredli on clothes horse.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back