Playing Mum to a lost rat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzi2009

Reaction score
Today my Dad and I found a lost tame pet rat in our garage, snuggling up with our shoe pile. I caught her and asked a few houses around mine if she was their pet, however nobody claimed her. I waited until the rest of the street got home from work and went to each of their houses and asked, but nope, she isn't any of theirs either!

I put her in a spare tank I have with some newspaper, water, fresh vegies and a box to hide in. I let her chill for the afternoon and then she had a run around of the lounge room.

About half an hour ago I put up a "found" poster on the noticeboard at our local shop, but I have decided that if nobody has called about her by Monday/Tuesday, I am going to keep her. I went to every house in my street and have now put this flyer up, I think I have done more than alot of people have for a pet rat:lol:
I don't want to hand her into a pet shop where she will sit and look for a new home for god knows how long, when she is already used to cuddles.
She is a young rat, Mum and Dad used to breed rats for their snakes, and they think she's only a few months old.

Anyway I just wanted to post this for the rattis lovers of APS :)
She is such a cute girl :)

that is so sweet. the top came off my cage the other day (with a little help from the cats, no doubt), and i freaked out when two of my girls were missing. thankfully they found a hidey-hole next to their cage and promptly came out when i rattled the food container. it sounds like she is one lucky rat who has found a good home :)

i was worried what might have happened to her if she ended up in someone else's garage, considering most of the women replied with "OH GOD NO!!!" when i asked them if it was theirs lol.

shes's sleeping at the moment, i kind of hope i can just keep her forever hehe :)

Hey miss, Ive only got pics on my iPhone and when I try to upload it's saying it's an invalid file type. Give me a sec I'll try and fix it, otherwise I'll take some on the camera tomorrow morning, she's sleeping now :)

Personally i imagined a lil 9-10 year old girl walking around with a lil mouse. I was off by 7 or 8 years wasn't i! Is a cute lil story though, and i know in my house the mouse wouldn't last long (mum made me kill one this morning, it fell in a box and couldn't escape... poor thing). So im happy it finded (fun gramma =D) a good home.

Well done! I'd be doing the same. There's a similar story in one of the "Animals are Smarter than Jack" book series, but in England. The rat ended up being one of the most fabulous pets the woman had ever owned!

Make sure if anyone does call for her that they describe to you what she looks like....markings and things like that....just to make sure she really is their rat,

You dont hink she will get too cold in a fish tank?

There are some wonderful rat cages you can get.....like spaceships...almost makes me want to get a rat just to have the cage :)

I think you have one very lucky little rat !!

Elizabeth

Lucky little girl finding you instead of someone who would have done her wrong! Good luck with her, hope you DO get to keep her............. can't wait to see the pics tomorrow. Wishing you both many happy years together.

You are such a sweetie to want her.... I had 2 pet rats for about 3 years, Charlie and Bruce, the dearest little pets in the world, very affectionate and clever. Have fun.

Hey all :) No phone calls about her yet. My sister and I have nicknamed her 'rattius' until we know for certain wether or not to get attached and call her an adorable name hehe.

Gekambi - Rest assured I am no 9 year old :p I'm almost 18 and was wandering around my street for about 20 minutes looking for this little girl's owner hehe.

Spikey - Yep am going to ask what she looks like (colour, marking) and if they can tell me what sex she is. I'm not giving her up to the first person who says, "Uhh.. she has whiskers?" Lol :)
I have given her a bunch of newspaper to tear apart and she has a box to hide in, I am hoping she isn't too cold but as you can hopefully understand, I cant run out and buy a rat cage only to have her owner collect her the next day. If she is still with my by Sunday, I am keeping her, and she will get a wonderful mousey house :D Thanks for your concern though hehe.

I will go and take some pictures on my camera now :)

P1040073.jpg
P1040077.jpg

Sorry, my camera is REALLY old and crappy, and she didn't wanna stay still for very long :)
But here she is.

Thats one hell of a lucky rat! Congrats on the find. Sounds like a happy ending for all concerned.

She sure is lucky :) Apparently most of my neighbours wouldn't have welcomed her into their home as openly as I have hehe.

Aww. Sweet story.

My pet rat had to be put to sleep at the vets yesterday.
She had a tumor in her nose, she was 2 years old.

Fritzi,

Have you tried kissing said rat yet, could be prince charming looking for a kind soul such as yourself.

Fritzi,

Have you tried kissing said rat yet, could be prince charming looking for a kind soul such as yourself.

You might be onto something there, but I think I'll stick to kissing humans for now :)

You might be onto something there, but I think I'll stick to kissing humans for now :)

but you'll wait until after your 18th birthday before you start doing things like that surely? :p
thats what my little sister is going to do, even if i need to use the shotgun a couple of times to help her achieve that goal!

but you'll wait until after your 18th birthday before you start doing things like that surely? :p
thats what my little sister is going to do, even if i need to use the shotgun a couple of times to help her achieve that goal!

Haha I congratulate your sister if she can go till 18 without a kiss :)
With you and your shotgun's help of course.

On topic - Still no calls about little ratty, she had another shampoo bath today and spent the morning cleaning herself :) She's adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back