Is it Compulsory?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoceyFisch

Reaction score
So at about 2pm on Saturday I had some lady knock on my front door regarding a survey that was dropped in our letter box that week.. I vaguely remembered seeing something that said ‘Dear Resident’ so I filed it in the bin with anything else that says ‘Dear Resident’.

Anyway.. this lady was from Australian Bureau of Statistics and my house had been randomly selected for the Survey of Income and Housing and she wanted me to sit with her for “30-40 minutes” and basically tell her all about how much money we make, how much our bills are etc (she gave me a long list of documents I will need to refer to during the interview).

I asked her if I HAD to participate and she replied “yes it’s sort of like voting you have to do it” and I told her I wasn’t comfortable doing it on my own (as if I would ever let someone in my house that I don’t know) and as my partner wasn’t home I told her I wouldn’t be doing it. She then continued to try and lock in a time with me and I had to explain to her that with the hours we both work very rarely are we home at the same time during the week and on a Saturday.

She told me she would call me in a couple of days or could I call her with a suitable time. But advised that the survey COULD NOT be done over the phone.

So my question in all of this is… Is it compulsory? Do I really have to tell some complete stranger all about our finances coz I just do not feel comfortable at all doing that.. I don’t care who she works for. And if it is compulsory why can’t I do it anonymously over the phone?

I tried calling the 1800 number for ABS on the weekend but their hours are “8.30-4.30 Mon to Fri” so I will be trying them again today but I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this or even had to do it??

Thanks
Joc

That sounds wrong to me, I'm sure there must be some sort of privacy issues being breached with her trying to force you. Did she show any form of idea or just make the claim she was from the ABS? I honestly believe she is wrong in saying it is compulsory and I definitely be looking into it further before participating in anything.

I've had to do them for companies I work for and it is compulsory, so I imagine what she is saying is correct. They are a pain in the behind. We just get them sent in written form though so I don't know why you can't fill out a form and send it back.

Northern - I checked her idea. I was a bit nervous as she wasn't just one of these door to door people but she pulled up at my house.

Zen - Will definitely look into filling out a form. I've looked on their website and on the brochure she left me but nowhere does it say it's compulsory.. I will be calling them on my lunch break to find out though.

Maybe I'm just overly paranoid but I don't want to be giving financial information to a woman who I don't know.. and she knows where I live.

G'day Joc,

I had a survey forwarded to me from the ATO through my accountant that I had to complete within 14 days, or I risked jail time!

Check with ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) at Australian Bureau of Statistics

Household Survey Participant Information - FAQs

ABS Legislative Framework

"Do I have to give my name?
No. The interviewer will ask for your name to assist with the interview, but if you wish, the interview can be conducted anonymously.

What if the time the Interviewer calls is not convenient for me?
As your information is very important to the ABS, the interviewer will be happy to arrange another time to interview that is convenient to you. Interviewers generally work between 8:30am and 8:30pm, Monday to Friday and 9:00am and 5:00pm Saturday; and may have limited availability on Sundays. If you are unable to complete the interview at the arranged time, the interviewer may be able to schedule another appointment.

Do I have to let the interviewer into my home?
A trained ABS interviewer with an official ABS identification card will visit you at your home to arrange a convenient time. It would be ideal if you can make a suitable table and chair available, as the interviewer will be using a notebook computer to collect the survey information. The interview can be conducted inside or outside the house (wherever you feel most comfortable).

Do I have to participate?
At this time your are being requested to answer the questions, but if the Australian Statistician directs you in writing to provide the information you are legally obliged to do so. The answers you provide will be treated confidentially. The ABS is required by the Census and Statistics Act 1905 to maintain the secrecy of all information provided to it. No information will be released in a way that would enable an individual or household to be identified."

The answer is there's always a way around it - but you do have a legal requirement to complete most surveys by ABS.

Dang... just called them and I have no choice but to sit down and do the interview!

Not happy! Such a pain in the... who has that much spare time after work.. and if I do I don't want to spend it with her :-/

Dang... just called them and I have no choice but to sit down and do the interview!

Not happy! Such a pain in the... who has that much spare time after work.. and if I do I don't want to spend it with her :-/

Number of choices - 1) move countries or move to the country side - they generally don't pick you if you're not in an area where a statistician can get to.

2) revoke your citizenship - I believe, like voting, if you're not a citizen you can't partake :)

3) Just don't do it and pay the fine... firstly find out that it is a fine though and not 3 months in jail...

4) make sure you're snakes are out at the time of the interview.... there's a chance the interviewer won't do the interview...

5) opt to do the interview naked - afterall it is your house you can be naked if you want!

6) Warn the interviewer as they come in that 4 of your very venomous scorpions have escaped - show her using your finger their approximate size and ask her to help you look for them because if you stand on them or they attack you instant convulsions will start and a trip to the hospital may be too late!

I had to fill in a survey from the transport department recently, It was to guage an average days travel for a random selection of households. However the travel day chosen was on the anzac day holiday. So after completing the survey we tacked on a note stating that a normal monday (i.e not on a public holiday) would usually have more travel, kids to and from school. to and from work ect.... I think whoever picked that date probably has a smaller office now...

I think it's pretty sh***y if you HAVE to provide your financial details to a stranger, I don't care where they're from...Can't they get the general info from the ATO if you legally have to provide it anyway...I like slimey's idea of venomous species escaping...Im gonna go get a spare encloser now and make it look lived in...just in case...

Far out... I should probably stop throwing out everything that says 'Dear Resident' without checking what it is...

If you think that's bad apparently the government wants to do a survey on our health and life styles and will randomly be selecting citizens to participate in this compulsory survey which includes a trip to the doctor, they have even said they wish for a blood sample though this will not be compulsory.

Northern - I checked her idea. I was a bit nervous as she wasn't just one of these door to door people but she pulled up at my house.

Zen - Will definitely look into filling out a form. I've looked on their website and on the brochure she left me but nowhere does it say it's compulsory.. I will be calling them on my lunch break to find out though.

Maybe I'm just overly paranoid but I don't want to be giving financial information to a woman who I don't know.. and she knows where I live.

I wouldn't want to give that information to a complete stranger either........ It should be the same as that sensus document... Its done at home and all filled out on paper so no names given....

When I called and was speaking (arguing with?) the "Manager" she just kept telling me about the whole process that the surveyors must go through before they are employed and about all the confidentiality forms etc.. so i asked her if she could absolutely guarantee that the information would never go further.. and she just kept telling me about all the confidentiality agreemements and that they are for a lifetime etc.

I wonder how she would feel if I showed up at her place asking her how much she makes??

I won't be telling this person the truth.. I'll make up figures on the spot because as far as I'm concerned it's none of their business.

hehehe.. thanks for those ideas slim6y... just for good measure we'll have a couple of the snakes out when we answer the door... and maybe to really scare her I'll get my partner to join us.. naked.. that'll have to work ;)

just be holding a snake when she answers your door and tell her shes just in time for ' feeding time '

hehehe.. thanks for those ideas slim6y... just for good measure we'll have a couple of the snakes out when we answer the door... and maybe to really scare her I'll get my partner to join us.. naked.. that'll have to work ;)

You know the saying... Pics or it didn't happen :)

As much as it might seem like a hassle. Do you really think giving them false information is good for anyone?

just be holding a snake when she answers your door and tell her shes just in time for ' feeding time '

Works for me lol:)
Sometimes:(
Had salesman come to our door a few weeks ago when my wife had 8 foot bredli out for some sun. He thought it was great as he had an MD or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back