Rough Scaled Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GypsyRose

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This may be a silly question but......
I was wondering if there may be a reason why we dont have breeders over here for this wonderful python? (or do we?) I dont know about you, but i find it frustrating that over here in WA, we only have a short list of reptiles that we are allowed to keep over here. Roughies are a WA python, and they are being bred in other states of which we arent allowed to purchase and have freighted. Theres gotta be a way around this.
Its annoying seeing all these wonderful snakes and saying, love it, but arent allowed to have it.
Any suggestions?

because the person that was given a licence to take the first lot from the wild to establish a captive population was from NSW.
Its a bummer, but looks like you westies will have to wait until the DEC there lightens its laws up a bit...

that would be very frustrating.. seeing snakes that come from your state & not being able to keep them...

Didn't Perth Zoo get some to breed as well? Although I guess they probably won't be parting with theirs...

well not for the price they are currently going for over this side of the country.
If you look at the prices for the SW Carpets there compared to say MD's here....

Perth Zoo did breed them, they donated 3 to Armadale Reptile Park and 2 to Naturalist Reptile Park.
The thing I find funny is, DEC says NO python is allowed to be imported from any state of Aus.
Under the condition they gave the person who collected the first Roughies, he had to send 4-6 of the first captive bred roughies back to WA.

Since then, Perth zoo wanted to get some aussie green tree pythons to put on show but DEC said NO because no pythons are allowed to be imported into this state...
Funny how DEC breaks their own law they make.

With the rules in WA, Perth zoo is not allowed to sell any Reptiles to the public, they give the animals to Wildlife parks, or other zoos around the world.

Last edited:
There is no way around it, DEC has a list of recommendations that was forwarded by WAHS, but apparently this list was submitted quite a while ago and I'm not sure if roughies were even on the list.

Armadale reptile centre is where I first fell in love them. There are so many that should be on our list but aren't.

Armadale reptile centre is where I first fell in love them. There are so many that should be on our list but aren't.

Dont get me started! Haha
I would love to keep WA night tigers, water pythons, Green Tree Snake, pilbara rock monitors, NW carpets...I better stop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back