new snake...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raaaa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So after 6 months of subtle coersion... aka me whining at her my mother has finaly alowed me to have a snake... im pretty much set have my liscence and a 2 ft starter tank set up.... the only problem is i cant decide what snake i want. i know i dont want any of the petshop pythons (stimmies spotteds or childrens)as i want something a decent size :) but im caught between a bhp an olive or a (hypo)costal obviousley ill be getting either a hatchie or a juvie given the tank size but is there anything i should know about these guys???

My BHP is gorgeous and quite placid.
I am biased tho.

If you're ok with the size that olives get to, I'd go for one of them.

Hmm, i like olives the most out of those choices, but the voice in my head is saying "is it really wise for a newbie to snakes to go straight for an olive" haha. Granted if your getting a hatchie then you will have time to get used to it and become confident handling it, but they get big quick, so they time isnt as long as you would think haha. I just hope that you would be aware that it would only be a few short years till you have a 3m snake with a big feeding response to look after...

I am a newbie but i do have a fair bit of experience ie working in the reptile section of a pet store ive also done a course in reptile husbandry (wanted to know what i was doing before i got one for myself) and the guy bought in his olive and thats where the obsession started for me she was just so placid :) my mates all have snakes as well so im pretty confident with the handleing side of it (just wont take the 6ft jungle out hes a bit snappy but oncce hes out im fine with him)

i completely scored and got given a 3ft enclosure pretty much complete just need a bulb and a thermostat aprox how long would that last an olive... i know its subjective but a rough guess whould be good.

i was also looking at murray darlings there pretty as but everyone seems to have a different opinion about there temperament...

My first snake was an 18month old BHP and he has been great. Very placid (actually borders on lazy, even at dinner time). There are some stunning colours and patterns around now and they are alot cheaper now than they were when I got mine.
I'd definately recommend a BHP as a first snake if you want something a little bigger to start with.

Definatley a coastal,I've got 2 spotteds and a Stimson as well

see i do love stimmies and i will be getting one but thatll be number two thatway im not wasting the first tank when my snake grows out of it :p
im a little anti spotteds lol especialy people advertising them as kids pets... just because they can be realy snappy but out of the petshop pythons (spotteds stimmies and childrens) stimmies have to be my favourites. im kicking myself that i didnt buy a pair we had at work last year they were beautiful natured but they were way over priced :(

My first snake was an 18month old BHP and he has been great. Very placid (actually borders on lazy, even at dinner time). There are some stunning colours and patterns around now and they are alot cheaper now than they were when I got mine.
I'd definately recommend a BHP as a first snake if you want something a little bigger to start with.

I second that!

Murray darlings are great snakes! They look good if you het the right ones, they are quite hardy so are great starter snakes, and they have a brilliant tempermemt. I have never seen an aggressive MD, they have all been great. My four are the calmest snakes I have ever seen haha

Our murray darlings are fine, gorgeous attitude on them, most of the ones we've handled have been gorgeous too.
BTW, I don't think it'll be a case of 'which one to get', rather the order in which to get them lol. I'd have to jump on the Olive bandwagon too however, then BHP, the MD, then Coastal... (continue ad nauseum...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back