venomous snake handling course

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakekid666

Reaction score
hey guys im interesting in doing a venomous snake handling course. i have 3 pet pythons but want to learn how to safely handle a venomous snake. are there any such courses around newcastle that will teach me to safely handle a venomous snake?
thanks jake.

Contact living with wildlife and ask when their next NSW Course is

You may need to be 18 to do a course in venomous handling :)

We conduct courses regularly in Melbourne, we will conduct courses in NSW if there are enough interested people. But as mentioned, you need to be over 18 to do the course!

Try Sonia Dewdney in Adelaide she is very good and does lots of travelling or you can go to her in the (no links please )
i have done the two day course & a refresher and is brilliant it is far better @ her home as she has soooooooooo many snakes to work with. PS she trains the gentle way with hooks only not with Tongs which can injutre the snakes more humane!!! not like some others and she is accredited.

Last edited by a moderator:
@snakehandler: How many people is enough interest to make you do a course here in NSW??

Maybe we can start a thread/poll counting how many people would be interested if we set a rough day/time etc. ??
And so it's not a waste of your time and so you don't worry about people signing up then not showing up, take 1/2 of the sum for a deposit?

Just a thought :) as I'd love to do the course...anyone else?

Depends when it is and if i got
Money to do it
But i would be pretty keen and yeh better off paying half the deposit so no one pulls out

TAFE Richmond (NSW) has a venomous snakes handling course but you have to do their basic two courses first. Next courses are in October

i dont know about around Newcastle but I know they do courses at the sydney wildlife world

Sonia's course is approved not accredited......there is a world of difference, we would need to have 10 confirmed places and then we will definitely be there! We also teach the use of hooking, tailing and self capture.....

Maybe she is not accredited as he claims but is an approved & brilliant course & she is very knowledgable.

I have done a couple of courses with her & highly recomend her especially if you are going to work with venomous snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only ever use my hook on elapids or any snake & have never had any problems, where this doesn't work I use my trap which enables me to catch the snake easily with no harm to myself or the animal.

Sonia will not teach you the use of these for the reason I stated above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iam interested in your snake trap Jackson ..will you put up pics for me please ? thanks

and dont get me started on the 'TONG' debate its a very touchy subject indeed :)

Pipe trap 006.jpgsnake trap 002.jpgPipe trap 002.jpgPipe trap 005.jpg

Cost is very minimal Ok here it is it is simple & it works I have caught several Western Browns using this technique!The trap is made using 90mm PVC pipe with an end cap & a stormwater100x50x90mm fitting as pictured.Spray fitting & inside black as you are trying to create a dark tunnel(snakes will seek out hole).

As snakes tend to hug walls when travelling to & from areas position it near a wall & direct snake towards it, they will do the rest especially if you tap them they will want to hide in there.Next once it has entered the pipe trap I carefully pick up the pipe & invert into my catch net twist net & secure then transport to release site.Once they are in there they are not to keen to get out so carefully shake until it comes out but be prepared for anything.

So far I have had no dramas as it allows you to capture at a safe distance from unpredictable animals.Any further questions I will try and answer.
PS that will be $ 50 consultation fee LOL

Jackson, yes we do teach the use of tongs, ones that are designed for handling snakes.....we have worked with world renowned venom researcher Dr Bryan Fry who has assisted on courses and also advocates their use when required. These have also been approved by independent animal ethics committees, have your traps been assessed?

BTW our teaching methods are as follows, we spend most of our handling day tailing and hooking snakes. We spend 30 minutes on pinning and tonging rubber snakes, as these two techniques, although useful can increase the risk of harm to the animals. Each person is instructed that these techniques are not common practice and should only be used when required.

A person needs to be well informed of the pro's and con's of each technique and then allow them to make up their mind as to the most suitable.....when our staff are asked their preference, it is either hooking or tailing, most of us cannot remember when we have used tongs on live snakes.

Jackson I have also heard negative feedback on Sonia's course , but as i have not attended then i am not going to comment, just as you have not attended mine which means you are going on hearsay, not fact....before you judge a course, make sure you have attended it......

I am not judging the course just the inhumane method of using tongs if as you say"We spend 30 minutes on pinning and tonging rubber snakes, as these two techniques, although useful can increase the risk of harm to the animals. Each person is instructed that these techniques are not common practice and should only be used when required." WHY TEACH IT IF IT IS NOT COMMON PRACTICE!
As for assessing my trap what is to assess it does no harm and is a gentle method and as I explained its purpose is so NOT to harm the animal & is only a recepticle until transfer & release. I should have put do not use in hot weather if prolonged entrapment is going to occur.
The longest I have ever held a snake in there is about 2 minutes until I can transfer to my capture net.

I don't profess to be an expert I am only passing on knowledge & experienced gained from catching snakes. This has come from plenty of Western Browns who can be a handful when warmed up and feeling threatened & the occasional Mulga that has passed my way please see other posts for pictures.

Talking of feeling threatened.

I can lend you my female water python. If you can handle it without a bite, you've passed.

All techniques used to control an animal should be assessed by an animal ethics committee, I am not saying your trapping idea is not a great idea either.......infact to ensure that it will satisfy the DSE here in Victoria I have asked them if it is permissible for a snake catcher to use....this is due to the fact that our wildlife controller type 2 permit states that snakes may only be captured using catching poles, nooses or sticks.....it does not mention traps, however some states have a statement along the lines of a trap set for a reptile must be attended due to the thermoregulatory nature of snakes and must not be placed in direct sunlight! Animal ethics committees will deem that the trap must be placed in the shade and checked on a regular basis.

We teach techniques that are not common practice so a person can make their own informed assessment of what techniques they would use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back