what should my first elapid be ??????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpeel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all wanted to start keeping elapid's and wanted to no what would be a good starter was thinking of a Collett's would love some feedback ??????

you should probably look up what you think is best because they are all different, in my opinion most snakes from the Pseudechis family are pretty good, so if you were to look at a RBB or a colletts.
most of the heavy bodied vens are generally easier to work with (just out of the experience), but i think the red belly would be the best
cheers

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm dosent sound good for the colletts then need somthing i can learn with
cheers

if thats the case, the red belly is perfect, generlly pretty quiet animals

perfict might go a colletts down the track any chance u no any breeders in vic

roy pails has some pretty cool elapids, and i know for a fact he has colletts, pretty sure they are his favourite just like me
cheers

Roy doesn't have any Collett's at the moment, I was enquiring about them just recently... Though I am heading down to the shop on Saturday to pick up an animal so will let you know when he will have more Red Bellies and Collett's available.

Blake.

Have you considered Death Adders?

They're generally small, full of colour and are great feeders.

As long as you don't become complacent, they can be a great stepping stone into elapids.

I don't know about this getting a placid ven as a first, that does nothing but lull you into a false sense of security and doesn't train you on how to handle something that wants you dead. I recon get a nut job that probably wont kill you when (yes i said when) you finally do get tagged cause it will happen eventually.

My first was a YF whip, not a big snake and not dangerous and probably not a good starter lol but it is a bit of a nutjob and incredibly fast. Not even slightly placid and snaps at you when you need to force feed it etc. It is good fun but!

I still reckon a tiger is the go. Let's face it, even with a red belly black, by all accounts the pain is equivalent to hell on earth :lol:......you don't want to get bitten by anything!! I agree with waruikazi and also think Adders don't give you anything in regards to handling vens as they are big lazy blobs :lol:

I've got a nice 4ft male red belly who is always NOT delighted to see me. He always makes it fun when it comes to cleaning :lol: Other snakes I've had/have generally settle down with age anyway...it's just getting them to that level is where you need to watch yourself ;)

just get whatever you like, and don't get bitten.
all species are different and there are a range of personalities within species.

Buy a big slatey gray first...see how you go with a fast moving colubrid, then look at elapids, you need to consider your experience, what "training" you have had, what you have worked with. My suggestion is learn to handle them first from someone, do a course, handle some wild ones, then get into keeping them, but establish some experience handling them first. I have great colletts, most of the time they are placid, I have great red bellies, most of the time they are great, I have some very placid tigers, and some nutjobs, every snake has its own personality you wont know it until you work it!

death adders are easier to manage lol....
but maybe an aggressive jungle will help you keep you on your toes.

do you have anyone to teach you how to handle vens?

Last edited:
if thats the case, the red belly is perfect, generlly pretty quiet animals

Generally, but not always....I have a female red belly that is anything but quiet and easily managed. She is very highly strung and wont hesitate to bite anything that comes too close. I have never kept another snake (be it elapid, colubrid or python) that has had an attitude like this, however I think she is great as she constantly reminds me to give elapids the respect they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back