Are olive Pythons good beginner snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Olives are Awesome snakes but No not a good first snake... they are really tame until they decide to bite a random 13 year old( that happend to me) after keeping mine for 4 years and they never bit... untill a mates 13 yerold held one :shock:
Needless to say no one touches them except me now... as they are now both over 10 foot and growing
Photo0311.jpg
Photo0314.jpg

Maybe get a nice spotted python?

Last edited:
I would say start off with a hatchling carpet first, they get to a good size, but not to big for a first snake, olives are great snakes but they can get very big and need a decent sized enclosure once they reach adult size, my two largest olives which are 11ft+ are kept in a 2400mmL x 1000mmD x 750mmH, not only the room needed but they also have a very aggressive feed response, mine will fly out of there hide box and grab anything that moves at the smell of food.
not trying to turn you off olives, as they are great snakes, definitely my favourites, just a big commitment for a first snake.
here are a few pics of my 9yr old male olive,

View attachment 174594View attachment 174593

Even suggesting that an Olive python is a reasonable proposition as a first snake is irresponsible. They may be docile most of the time, and juvies are cute, BUT... they grow very fast, they become large, heavy-bodied animals quite quickly, and being able to 'read' them at any given time is an important part of safety with any large constrictor. Even a medium sized Olive is quite capable of immobilising and killing a child. Large constrictors are probably more dangerous than highly venomous elapids in some regards - if they are being handled when you are alone (very unwise) and they, through some misjudgement on their part, bring you down, you won't even be able to get to a phone for help before you are asphyxiated, and some other family member comes home to find you dead on the floor.

It has happened with Scrubs in this country, and will happen with an Olive one day. Familiarity breeds contempt, and a casual attitude to large, 'docile' constrictors has caused numerous deaths in the US and elsewhere.

Don't even consider it until you have several years experience with smaller species.

Jamie

Even suggesting that an Olive python is a reasonable proposition as a first snake is irresponsible. They may be docile most of the time, and juvies are cute, BUT... they grow very fast, they become large, heavy-bodied animals quite quickly, and being able to 'read' them at any given time is an important part of safety with any large constrictor. Even a medium sized Olive is quite capable of immobilising and killing a child. Large constrictors are probably more dangerous than highly venomous elapids in some regards - if they are being handled when you are alone (very unwise) and they, through some misjudgement on their part, bring you down, you won't even be able to get to a phone for help before you are asphyxiated, and some other family member comes home to find you dead on the floor.

It has happened with Scrubs in this country, and will happen with an Olive one day. Familiarity breeds contempt, and a casual attitude to large, 'docile' constrictors has caused numerous deaths in the US and elsewhere.

Don't even consider it until you have several years experience with smaller species.

Jamie

Wise words Jamie, Olives grow too big, too fast a beginner, as several for sale threads will testify.

Much better than an olive. They are fairly hardy, generally eat well and don't get too big (about 1.5m-2m for a large one) Again, they can turn into chucky when they get the smell of food, but you're going to find that with pretty much any snake. More expensive than something proven to be a good "beginner" snake like a childrens or carpet but definitely a prettier snake in my opinion

Over 640 people were killed by chairs in the US last year. Do not get a chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back