kitty litter for snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilesrkool

Reaction score
hey every one i wanted to no what kitty litter is like for keeping snakes on thanks jack

---------- Post added 31-Dec-10 at 08:48 AM ----------

any body

Hi Jack. I use Breeders Choice kitty litter in some of my enclosures with newspaper underneath. It is a good substrate that absorbs moisture and looks decent. It gets expensive if you have a lot of enclosures, so I tend to save it for smaller snakes (just do small cleanups by removing soiled litter) or the one in my classroom where the school pays for the litter. I also use it for my young BHP who enjoys burrowing in a thick layer of litter. I remove soiled litter regularly, but do a thorough clean (relacing the newspaper underneath and disinfecting) every couple of months. It composts well. Hope that answers your questions.

I use something similar (different name) for my BHP and as Pythonmum said, they love to burrow around in it.
I have found it easy to keep clean, and looks a bit nicer than newspaper.

Some people don't recommend it because of the possibility of the snake ingesting it when feeding, so to be on the safe side I put his food on newspaper, and remove it once he has finished.

yeah i don`t feed most of my snakes in there enclosures any way were can i get breeders choic any pet shop?

yep.. breeders choice... comes in a few forms.. but most common i've seen used is the paper pellet form... available in the pet food aisle at your local woolworths/safeway.. ;)

I once used the small rock style kitty litter in a bearded dragon enclosure. I don't recommend using this type as it dehydrated the poor little fella. Once I removed the litter and replaced it with river sand he came good and lived for over 10 years.

yeah i use it for my adders they love it.......breeders choice

ummm Woolies stock it .... if thats any help ....

yeah ill have to go down to safe ways or coles dose any one no how much a bag is roughly

Kitty litter is absorbant and so can make the evironment too dry particularly on the ground where most animals spend their time.
It can give you a false sense of cleanliness as a lot of the fine dust stays behind which is normally powdered urine. Although you cant see it (looks nice) it is still there.
The cost can discourage keepers from throwing out so keepers resort to only spot cleaning (what they can see)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back