Opening a store

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Helloo..

Really random topic.. but i thought id ask here.

Im sure theres a few people here that run their own stores, and i have been thinking about opening a clothing boutique..just an idea, no idea if it is even do able yet..but i just wanted to know, apart from the money part , what else is involved with opening a new store?
Is it really hard to do? Worth it? Alot of $$ ?
I know i wont make a fortune, but its something id really love to do and would really enjoy, i look at some of the clothing stores here and want to vomit,lol.. just want to figure out if its do-able for me :)

I Have managed and ran a store for around 7 years now and my first thought would be you may need to do some more serious homework on the topic.

Your questions of is it hard and worth it really depends on the amount of time and effort you want to put into your shop. To many people get into business and within the first year they think i am the boss so i will have a weekend off. Say goodbye to your weekends and most free time and hello to work work and work.

Most people think they have worked hard while working for someone else but believe me you will really know what work is when you have your own store. All that put to the side if you work hard and make smart moves than it can be very rewarding.

Location is another big thing and so is good, quality advertising.

HTH

Cameron

Thanks Cam.
Yep, i already realise it will be basically working everyday which im willing to do for awhile until i see how well it does and then can maybe hire someone else to help me.
The location is one of the main things i would look at..i feel like that it pretty important.

Thanks for you input, anyone else feel free to add anything :D

Any one who says dont do it are just scared do ask yourself what if just try it! but ensure you WANT to do it ither wise you will fail you need to have the drive

i'll steal your clothes from your shop if they are not selling and at least you will get something back from your insurence company and then we can split the profits i make from selling them at the markets.
'

donks

Rent can be 500+ a week. Clothes need to be updated or people will loose interest. Depending on the price of clothes, your initial stock could cost up to 30k+. Decoration and store set up isn't cheap ether. Advertisement is also needed.

Camo go it right, no weekends, no over time. It is very hard work and your stress levels will sky rocket.

Take small steps would be my suggestion and do heaps of research.
Cheers

Dont forget to include gst and income tax and adminstrative costs in your calculations.

the economic climate in Aust isn't really helpful to small businesses
if it is something you want to do i would recommend a lot of research and dedication, start small and work up.
if its clothing just remember most people buy from already established shops
unless its a ritzy rich persons boutique....

Hey, maybe its worth starting with a website just to save on the over heads and man hours sitting around(sitting around can really break your sprits),promoted right you can do very very well. If face to face is the direction you want to go then starting with a website will at least build a customer base.

Last edited:
the economic climate in Aust isn't really helpful to small businesses
if it is something you want to do i would recommend a lot of research and dedication, start small and work up.
if its clothing just remember most people buy from already established shops
unless its a ritzy rich persons boutique....

Not sure i agree with all of that... you can never have enough clothing stores :D Especially womens clothing stores.
I want to open a designer clothing store, im not selling cheap crap that u can buy in Kmart, and if i make the location right i think it could do very well.

But dont worry, i am researching it all and dont even want to start for at least 12months yet, id like to wait until my children are a little older and shop around for awhile :)

Yeh Fay, rent will suck..but id still like to have a go, you dont get anywhere if you dont try!

Still would like to hear from someone who opened a store on their own.. :D

Donks.. i really dont see you bothering with all that!! lol

I had a pet shop in nsw started from scratch...It was very hectic and stressful at the start to say the least....Rent was a killer but it was a really good positon where you were in the main street... I know its a pet shop and you are talking about clothes but the start up costs are double what you would typically imagine...I had the business running well for about 3yrs and it was work non stop...Made great money some of the time and nothing other times....But all in all i broke even and worked for myself for 3 years barely really made wages but when i sold out i had basically lived for nothing over 3 yrs and made a little bit of cash when the business sold...Advertise advertise advertise.......
I SAY GIVE IT A GO IF IT IS REALLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND ENJOY...If not give it a miss.... animals and working in a pet shop were awesome..Only problem with stupid NSW regs cant sell reptiles or amphibian...

My girlfriend opened a "vintage" ladies clothing store last year. She imports gorgeous pieces
from USA. She is doing very well, better than she expected. Any specific questions you have I can ask her.
Also I sell advertising for a living so when the time comes can help you out with that.

Good Luck : )

Hey Darrlyn thatd be great :) Wont be starting for a little while yet, just want to know what i need to do to start off basically. All the costs etc and things i need, paperwork and all that businessy stuff.. how long did it take her from when she opened to when she started making a profit etc

thanks everyone :)

Not sure i agree with all of that... you can never have enough clothing stores :D Especially womens clothing stores.
I want to open a designer clothing store, im not selling cheap crap that u can buy in Kmart, and if i make the location right i think it could do very well.

But dont worry, i am researching it all and dont even want to start for at least 12months yet, id like to wait until my children are a little older and shop around for awhile :)

Yeh Fay, rent will suck..but id still like to have a go, you dont get anywhere if you dont try!

Still would like to hear from someone who opened a store on their own.. :D

Donks.. i really dont see you bothering with all that!! lol

if your going designer then pick the location VERY carefully, i lived in Terrigal for 10yrs and saw many many clothing shops come and go, even with crown plaza's presence with the 6star floor and the rich sydny folk many went under,
location, commitment and more commitment is what it will take

if your going designer then pick the location VERY carefully, i lived in Terrigal for 10yrs and saw many many clothing shops come and go, even with crown plaza's presence with the 6star floor and the rich sydny folk many went under,
location, commitment and more commitment is what it will take

Yep for sure, that will be the hardest thing to choose i think, apart from a name.
I live near Terrigal, but i dont think that Terrigal is a good choice. It may have to be actually in Sydney , OR i could move to New York.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back