To build or to buy?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammie-leigh

Reaction score
I currently have my Jungle in a click clack and we will be getting another soon who we have put a click clack together for also.
however...
i am thinking of putting them in proper enclosures but i don't know whether to build enclosures for them or, to buy enclosures for them.
There are Pros and Cons to both choices i know.
But i am just wondering what peoples opinions are on them, and if you are able to share your experiences of either buying enclosures or building enclosures for your snakes, and which you prefer.
If you would even be able to post up some pics of enclosures you have either built or bought that would be excellent so i can get some ideas for them..

Oh, and just a note, i understand that everyone has a different opinion please understand this also, so this is not a "lets slam someone elses opinion because its not the same as mine" thread.:p
Thank you.

IMO i believe if you have the money buy one but if you dont build one
i build both of my enclosures and a lot more stuff around the house but here is my enclosure for my snake
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

all depends

how good are you with timber?

i wouldnt say im extraordinary with timber, but im certainly not hopeless. lets say average, i can go off plans and stuff if i have them there.its more figuring out the plans if i was going to build.

Saves money to build your own, especially if you find a piece of furniture with a glass front or door. It is a matter of personal preference. Just plan something big enough to house them as adults so you don't have to keep making more and more enclosures. Got any old dressers, wardrobes or TV cabinets hanging around? If so, try making an enclosure out of them.

I build my own enclosures, as i am just getting in to it they arent what you can call perfect, but i am happy with them. I have included pics of my three bank enclosure (top one not finished) and an enclosure i made out of the off cuts and some spare glass from an old entertainment unit.

Attachments

• P5150006.jpg
    P5150006.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 107
  • P5150009.jpg
    P5150009.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 78
  • P5150008.jpg
    P5150008.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 76
  • P8100044.jpg
    P8100044.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 106
I so far have always built mine because mostly nothing I see suits my tastes and secondly because it ends up being cheaper for me. I think my building skills arent too shabby

wholeview.jpgentire.jpg

its not finished yet, I need to turn the bottom shelf into a feeding enclosure. usable enclosure size 910mmLx700mmhx600mmd. Cost me $180 all up.

Yeah unfortunately no i don't have any old pieces of furniture, however, i have been looking around on trading post and ebay and a few other websites and there are few pieces of furniture that people are selling that can be used and probably tampered with to make them as enclosures.

on that note though. The other jungle we have arriving in the next week hopefully will be a female, which we would eventually like to breed, so would i be better off having two seperate enclosures for them and putting in the same enclosure when we want to breed them? or build an enclosure where they are living sperately but have a piece of timber in the middle that can be put in place to look like two enclosures or taken out to then look like one?

just an idea at the moment.

I like the idea of seperating them with a piece of timber... for a couple of reasons... they dont require each others company and in my own personal theory if kept separate will be more eager to breed when its time. Absence makes the libido grow stronger... lol

It all depends how good you want it to look, how much money you have, how much spare time you have and how handy you are...the actual cabinet is easy but if you want something fancier it starts to get hard. We are currently building a huge three bay with a removable floor section to join two bays into one for breeding.

Yeah, that is true...
i suppose even if i found a big tv unit and then somehow put a track in the middle so i can slide the timber in the middle in and out when needed....
but i would be looking for something taller rather then wider.... so like 120(H)x145(w)x90(d), thats if i was going to do the two enclosures in the one unit seperated by a peice of timber or something....i guess its just a matter of figuring out how to do it...
anyone have any ideas of how i would make it?
what materials would be best to make it with?
oh and how would i get the tracks in the timber for the glass? so i can slide it across...
a lot of questions i know, but i have never really made an enclosure before and if i know what i am aiming to achieve i can be quite handy with timber. i grew up around timber my dad used to be a cabinet maker for most of his life but isn't it that lone of business anymore...so i good with timber....

just need some ideas and opinions from people who have a bit more experience in enclosure building then me...

Help please??

yeah thanks i might do that...hopefully it wil stop raining soon...i will need all the help i can get i think...

me and my dad (builder) just finished building tanks for my jungles ill try get some pics up

I bought a second hand tv cabinet and converted it for my Jungle. All up it cost me around $220. I would definately build if you are able to!

DSCF3068.jpg

I made my first one out of melamine. It's really easy to clean and very sturdy but was pretty expensive. It also took a couple of afternoons to build with my limited carpentry skills.
The next one needed to be done quickly so I just bought a flat pack cabinet from Bunnings. This is also easy to clean because it has the laminate stuff which doesn't soak up various liquids. That one was ready for its new occupant in about a day and a half. The only problem is that you're restricted to whatever size cupboard/cabinets you can find.
For doors for both I got a glass guy to make custom sized ones. He gave me plastic runners for the top and bottom that you just glue into place. That way you don't have to worry about cutting tracks yourself.

I built my first few enclosures and they are quite easy depending on how good/professional you want them to look. My next lot of enclosures I found at Super A Mart. They're normal display cabinets designed for the home but easily modified for a reptile, just add heat, perches etc. These are 4.5x2x2ft and cost $350 ea.
1st pic a bit crappy but the 2nd gives you an idea how they look in a room.

Cheers,
Allan
PA258151.jpgPA258152.jpg

Thanks, the good thing with this sort of display cabinet is they blend into the living room so well. They just look like normal furniture but still a feature of the room and don't look out of place. People don't even notice what they really are until they're up close and go "holy crap!! there's a snake in there.":lol:

Cheers,
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back