Why keep reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was sitting in the car with my sister and we were talking about my Blue-Tongue. She asked several times 'Wouldn't he be much happier in the wild?'. Naturally I said no and the Reptiles aren't like humans they do not love, hate or get depressed. Then she asked why keep reptiles? I was stumped, I couldn't think of a single reason. She went on to say they don't 'do' anything or sit on your lap like a cat or anything. I then told her she was stupid and that was that. But seriously, Why keep reptiles? :S

because i and im sure you enjoy it sure they dont come when you call there names and you cant put a lead on them but we still keep them because we like them they are a cool pet and bring happiness to many peoples

Haha it's a question that I think every herp owner gets asked almost every time they tell someone new about their obsession. I'd be interested to see some of the responses here.
For me I have to admit I first got into it because they seemed cool and different (how many guys can go up to a girl and say "hey wanna see my 8ft python" ;)). However now that it has grown into an obsession I understand it a bit more and now tell people they are pretty much the perfect pet. They don't make noise, they don't smell, they don't require much more than a few minutes attention a day, they don't sit there with that annoying "hopeful" look in their eyes every time you are eating (like my dog), they are quite interesting when they are being active...
There are many more but they are the first few that come to mind right now :)

Becuase they are elegant, facinating and wonderful.

They are amazing animals, especially if you come from NZ and grew up with no pythons, everything about them amazes me - have you ever come across an animal that can survive with no food longer than one year plus - I believe the three years is the longest without food recorded.?

Those are reasonable arguments against say, fish, too. I doubt you'd hear as much opposition for those, though.

Fact is, sometimes people just want a pretty, unusual animal with basic needs, that doesn't consume a ton of space.

As for myself, I keep an extremely hectic schedule, and cannot afford the time to own an animal that requires emotional nourishment like a cat or dog.
I keep reptiles and arachnids for equal parts fascination and practicality. :)

Fact is, sometimes people just want a pretty, unusual animal with basic needs, that doesn't consume a ton of space.

As for myself, I keep an extremely hectic schedule, and cannot afford the time to own an animal that requires emotional nourishment like a cat or dog.
I keep reptiles and arachnids for equal parts fascination and practicality. :)

Same reason I stay with my partner : )

Out of fascination & appreciation for some of the most unique & misunderstood animals in the natural world.

I keep snakes because they're different and easy to care for. They don't care whether you pay attention to them or not, as long as there temperatures are right and they have clean water and get fed when they need to they don't care. The fact that they don't need to be fed as often as a cat or dog makes them an appealing pet, and so does the fact that you don't need to clean up after them as much as a dog or cat. Its always interesting to watch them eat, when was the last time anyone sat and watched their dog or cat eat?

You have to be careful with them because they are a strong predatory animal that may bite you if you scare it or if you smell like dinner. I think being able to handle a potentially dangerous animal is part of the attraction, many people are scared of snakes, and I love being able to show them my snakes, and they can see for themselves that they aren't horrible creatures that want to do nothing but bite you. The way they feel comes into it also, they are soft and smooth, and feel nice while they slither around on your hands and arms. Watching them explore their tanks is fascinating too, their graceful movement is impressive and unique to them. If you can catch it, seeing them shed their skin is a very interesting thing to see, seeing their skin separate from them and watching them slither out of it looks so strange, and their colour and shine afterwards is beautiful. The fact that they don't make much noise makes them a desirable pet, you won't have neighbours ringing and complaining about barking. They stay in their enclosures unless you take them out so you won't accidentally step on them, and they won't walk all over your benches... or steal and eat your food off the bench that was going to be your dinner! ;)

I got my python because I thought they were a very interesting creature and I've kept and bred most types of common domestic animals and livestock and was up for a new challenge.
Since then I've found that they are just the perfect pet.
I'm time poor these days and have become hugely fussy about the amount of noise and mess I'm subjected to.
Snakes fit my new requirements and I do wish I had made the move to purchase my python before I brought my cats.
Something I keep kicking myself over while I'm gagging cleaning out litter trays every morning.

Last edited:
snakes i keep cos theyre such low maintenance and ive always been fascinated by them. not only are the animals beautiful, but their cages can be decked out beautifully and really add to the ambience of my home.

the lizards on teh other hand are just like small, non walk demanding puppies, full of life and curiosity, love nothing mroe than a pat/cuddle and sitting on the back of the lounge where they can either look out teh window of watch telly with their humans. even after the crappiest day they can make both me and my partner smile as soon as we walk thru the door.
we moved loungerooms a while ago and left the beardies on their usual spot in the old loungeroom, within 10 mins the first beardy appeared wanting to be put somewhere in teh room with us, within half an hour all 5 girls had come out and were happily set up in a new spot where they were near us and happy.
they stay in teh old loungeroom if i set them up there and go to work, but if anyone is home they want to be in the same room.

the shingles proved to be untoilet trainable, so they live in a cage when no ones home, as soon as they hear the front door theyre up against the glass wanting out, happily accepting a pat or treat before they go of and explore.

they geckos are stunning, and i like to look at beautiful things, so they make me happy too.

and to top it all off, im a feeder, and theres nothing better to watch than a reptile stuffing down its food of choice! :p

Because I find them interesting. I like learning about new things, I want to know all I can. It isnt like school work.....boring, I actually want to learn about reptiles because im interested in them.I like collecting new species as well. First of all, i bought a reptile with only two reasons, I wanted a cool pet and i wanted to be able to handle it. From there sprouted a new love for all things scaley and in my first year i bought over 20 different reptile species, and i still am now.

I keep reptiles because i need to (obsessions can be like that sometimes). they are incredibly relaxing and calming creatures, even when theyre flighty and/or a bit bitey. theres nothing quite as fascinating as chucking a snake in your fish tank and watching what it does or wondering why they seem to want to go in a direction that makes no logical sense, nomatter how many times you turn them away. and to top it all off they are low maintainance, a good conversation starter, and keep my study warm and looking nice :p

snakes i keep cos theyre such low maintenance and ive always been fascinated by them. not only are the animals beautiful, but their cages can be decked out beautifully and really add to the ambience of my home.

the lizards on teh other hand are just like small, non walk demanding puppies, full of life and curiosity, love nothing mroe than a pat/cuddle and sitting on the back of the lounge where they can either look out teh window of watch telly with their humans. even after the crappiest day they can make both me and my partner smile as soon as we walk thru the door.
we moved loungerooms a while ago and left the beardies on their usual spot in the old loungeroom, within 10 mins the first beardy appeared wanting to be put somewhere in teh room with us, within half an hour all 5 girls had come out and were happily set up in a new spot where they were near us and happy.
they stay in teh old loungeroom if i set them up there and go to work, but if anyone is home they want to be in the same room.

the shingles proved to be untoilet trainable, so they live in a cage when no ones home, as soon as they hear the front door theyre up against the glass wanting out, happily accepting a pat or treat before they go of and explore.

they geckos are stunning, and i like to look at beautiful things, so they make me happy too.

and to top it all off, im a feeder, and theres nothing better to watch than a reptile stuffing down its food of choice! :p

toilet trained beardie? how does one do that? (sorry to get off topic but i never knew beardies could be toilet trained!)
also, if theyre running around in a room all day, how have you set up their heat and uv requirements? id be interested in how you do this as EWD's or monitors will one day be running around my house hopefully.

Last edited:
toilet trained beardie? how does one do that? (sorry to get off topic but i never knew beardies could be toilet trained!)
also, if theyre running around in a room all day, how have you set up their heat and uv requirements? id be interested in how you do this as EWD's or monitors will one day be running around my house hopefully.

toilet training is a matter of routine, every morning they get a warm bath, and every morning they all take a dump either in the warm bath, or if they havent gone in the bath i take them in the shower when ive finished with teh soapy parts and rinsed the shower and move them over the drain hole as their tails start to lift.

for heat, once theyve pooed they get moved to windowsills on heat bags (covered with towels to keep the heat in) that stay warm for about 4-6 hours, at this time of year the sun comes in the windows from about 11am till 4ish, after which from my experience, beardies move away from their heat anyway to snooze up the cool end, so its really no different.
in summer they dont need any additional heat since upstairs gets pretty warm anyway, ( i had to move them upstairs cos down stairs even on the hottest days the tiles only get to 25C, and the silly things feel the need to lie directly on them. i
In the coldest parts of winter they do get cage time, generally a few hours a day when i get home, with a few full days. they do seem to enjoy cage time on an irregular basis, tehy bask/dig and seem to have a ball, i try a few different lizards in cages, if theyre basking and looking happy i leave them, if theyre pissed off and scratching at the door straight away theyre not gonna bask anyway so i try a different beardy.

not sure how this bit works, but if tehy need to do a second poo for the day, they run around like crazy and just wont settle so i iknow they need another bath, more often than not theyve barely hit the water and are pooing. they can hang on for a few hours this way, but if theyre not taken to the loo, they'll eventually find a corner,....

oh, UV requirements are met on nice days when they get direct sun thru the windows (as in glass open, just flyscreen) and sunning cage time on weekends.

tehy also sleep on a beanbag filled with heated wheat bags for additional heat.

Because I can't have a dog or a cat in an apartment, birds freak me out and fish are kinda boring...

I think reptiles are so fascinating, easy to care for, low maintenance pet :)

My Nanna asks me quite often "wouldn't they be happier in the wild", my response is "Some reptiles would be closer to extinction if it weren't for people keeping them in captivity".. that usually shuts her up :D

I keep them so we can go for drives and watch tv together :lol:

something that I love about my snakes is how relaxing they are....when I am stressed I can sit with my snake and because (unlike a dog or cat) you do ahve to watch them when you are handling them I can just empty my mind of the stress of my job and they feel so wonderful coiling through my hands. I actually bought a second snake because I wanted to have one to handle when the other one was in shed...now I have four they are so addicitive !!

the thing I love about them too is they are so undemanding...but if I open the enclosure door and put my hand in and touch them they are immediately awake and as interested in coming out and seeing me and having a crawl around as I am to see them.

People who havent seen my snakes are horrified...but once they see them....they sort of get it...some more than others...but they do get it.

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back