Day old chicks and CO2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Katana-

Reaction score
I was wondering if using CO2 gassing was an effective way of dispatching day old chickens?

Have tried "other methods" ...which delivered instant death..but to put it mildly I won't be attempting again anytime soon.

yeah i assume it would be the same as gassing rats. I have never gassed chickens but i cant see why it would be any different.

*sniffs*
It was the dog.....honest.!:oops::shock:

Argon is the new CO2, apparently it produces less distress when used on rodents etc.

Powered by Google Docs

"Therefore, based on the findings of these studies the
recommended anaesthetic agent for rats is halothane and for mice
is enflurane as at appropriate concentrations they induced a
rapid and effective induction with the minimum of distress. The
recommended method of euthanasia using a single agent would be
argon. However, inducing unconsciousness with a volatile liquid
anaesthetic (eg halothane and enflurane) and subsequently
rapidly killing with carbon dioxide after the animals are
unconscious can be considered more humane than argon alone. As
once an animal is unconscious then exposure to carbon dioxide,
which is an effective killing agent, is not a welfare issue."

I had a breeder tell me that if I ever wanted fresh-killed mice, I should just put them in a jar and seal it up. To me, it sounds like a slow death, as you are not actively pumping CO2 (or another asphyxiant) into the container. Can anyone comment on this?

I had a breeder tell me that if I ever wanted fresh-killed mice, I should just put them in a jar and seal it up. To me, it sounds like a slow death, as you are not actively pumping CO2 (or another asphyxiant) into the container. Can anyone comment on this?
I think that sounds a little cruel, that would be a slow death.

Yeah - I'd never try it. If I was to breed my own rodents, I'd probably go with argon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back