Olives with difference

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I find these Papuan olive pythons incredible. A friend of mine just emailed me, they grow to 4.5 - 5 metres at this particular spot where we might be going soon. Jealous?

Apodora-papuana.jpg

EXTREMELY. Their heads look more stout, are they still L. o. olivaceus? Maybe it's just this uni computer which I'm using for the wrong reasons...

EXTREMELY. Their heads look more stout, are they still L. o. olivaceus? Maybe it's just this uni computer which I'm using for the wrong reasons...

Nope they are belong to their own genus Apodora papuana. They are not the same as our L. olivaceus

Jealous? ha! not at all...

Maybe a bit. Keep that camera handy.

mmmm I think i still like Australian Olives better ?

Are they that colour in the flesh or do they have a coloured light above them? they are truly stunning.......

Oh.........*WANT*

But wait up......Has there been any serious attempt to catalog species of herps of the Torres Straight Islands?
AND aren't the Torres Straight Islands still a part (technically) of Queensland?

I'd be busting a gut to explore these Islands to see if this species of Olive actually existed on Australian soil..albeit in the Torres Straight.

Last edited:
Are they that colour in the flesh or do they have a coloured light above them? they are truly stunning.......

They can look like that but they can also be pretty drabby just like our olives.

Akwendy, the Torres Strait islands were thoroughly surveyed and fauna recorded. If you have Reptiles Australia mags, there was an article there somewhere about Sabai island herps. There no Apodora there but white lips are on Sabai.

Last edited:
Bugger....oh well..I guess it doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back