Snake-proofing my yard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi chloemarie,i remove snakes professionally and part of my job is i do quotes and give advice on snakeproofing yards,and with out seeing your yard and the exact species that come into your yard its going to be hard to give you complete advice ,but i can tell you lots of people will tell you what DOESNT work ridiculous things like mothballs crushed up ***? and those stupid snake repellers.
It comes down mainly to common sense creating barriers which keep out terrestrial snakes like browns but if there not done properly snakes can wander in where you didnt expect and get trapped in your yard from the barriers.there not going to stop pythons though but really there harmless so not a priority.
By far the most effective way of protecting small dogs is to train them NOT to attack wildlife,which is very possible as dogs respond so well to conditioning techniques.
The only other alternative is to move somewhere with no snakes,i know peolple who have done this.

Spot on except for jack russell's. Well ours anyway hahaha.

oh man every week i am at the 24hr vet hospital near where i live and there is always a jack russel thats been smashed by a brown or black,and its usually not there first time!!! some have been treated numerous times and costed about 2 or 3 GRAND each time!!!

yeah they are little snake hunters, thats just what they do. we have had a couple that come back with huge snakes to the point where they can hardly drag them, its a weird thing to see. we have also had a couple that just have never come back. the working dogs dont go near snakes. im in the city now though, with two spoilt dogs, wouldnt leave the couch for a brown.

jack russells i had 1 in adelaide and he was bringing blueys in all the time and would get them and roll on them rubbing everythin into the carpet

if you can get you hands on some spinosaurus urine im sure that would work, it scares away tyrannosaurus rex's so im sure a brown snake will run

Rang my nan to ask her for any 'home remedies' and the best she had was brown pickling vinegar.they don't like the smell and it supposedly mildly tingles,not in a good way.if you can bear the smell,and your poor neighbors.i would recommend to use a barrier of creosoak pine logs along the bottom of you fence.Nothing likes that crap,just don't rub your eyes or get it on your skin cos you will know.

if someone invents a real snake repellent they will become instent billionaires because nothing will prevent snakes from coming into your yard my sergestion is have a redbelly black snake it will eat the browns and what ever other snake you find

my great great grandma always used to have snakes at her place and all she had were fences good enough to keep cows out so basically not a fence she is surrounded by heavy bush on 3 sides she had everything dont know why her remedies worked but the did there hasnt been a snake around fo over 10 yrs and i thought she was ****tin me when she first did it i was sure it wouldnt work but 10yrs later and havent seen even a whisper of snake since she did it so snake proofing according to grandma: 1.tidy up your yard 2. plant a heap of geraniums 3.sit back and watch them grow hey i didnt believe it at first but there has not been snakes there since she did it 10 yrs ago so as far as i am concerned the proof is in the pud

my great great grandma always used to have snakes at her place and all she had were fences good enough to keep cows out so basically not a fence she is surrounded by heavy bush on 3 sides she had everything dont know why her remedies worked but the did there hasnt been a snake around fo over 10 yrs and i thought she was ****tin me when she first did it i was sure it wouldnt work but 10yrs later and havent seen even a whisper of snake since she did it so snake proofing according to grandma: 1.tidy up your yard 2. plant a heap of geraniums 3.sit back and watch them grow hey i didnt believe it at first but there has not been snakes there since she did it 10 yrs ago so as far as i am concerned the proof is in the pud

The biggest thing with that idea is that your cleaning up the yard. If they have very few places to hide they will keep moving. If they can hide in the bush next door they will stay there instead of the open.
Snakes don't normally whisper the normally use their outside voice.

Your lucky as, I would love to get snakes in my yard :D
There are a few things you can do, most have already been mentioned.
-Cut the grass regularly.
-Get rid of any rubbish piles, loose debris ect.
-Get rid of any mice or rats, dont use rat bait though. No source of food = no snakes.
-If possible, train your dogs to keep away from snakes.
Its always the curious little doggies sticking their noses where they shouldnt.

If you get browns in your yard, maybe you should buy a red bellied black ;)

It's a shame you don't like snakes, but its good that youbrespect them and don't want to kill them like most people :)
Yeah just try to reduce the rat populations in your garden and house, and keep your grass cut short as many venomous snakes such as brown snakes like tall grass.
I would love carpet pythons in my garden, but I would not feel comfortable with brown snakes, so I understand your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back