re

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

horseychic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We have a 12month old female stimson python, had her just over a week now and have left her alone to settle. On sunday we got her out to put into a seperate container to feed which she would strike at us through the container and not at the mice, left her alone for an hour to eat but still nothing i didnt want to keep pestering her so we put her back in her enclosure and put her mouse in their with her, by morning it was gone so she has obviously eaten it.
I got her out today and she was real cranky and was hissing so put her back, and have left her alone.
My question is do i keep persisting with feeding her in a seperate container on her next feed or just feed her in the enclosure and try to handle her in between so she doesnt become cage defensive? Also will the hissing stop or will she bite.

Hi horseychick...
Firstly I wouldn't bother feeding in a separate container, just give her meal to her in the place she feels comfortable. Secondly I would look at how big her meals are... are they big enough for her? There should be a visible lump in her midsection after she has eaten. She might be cranky if she's hungry.
Thirdly she may be cranky if she's coming up to a shed.

thanks i will feed her in the enclosure then as she seems happy in their, i was told she was eating 2 fuzzy mice but will definately bump it up as she gobbled them down pretty quick. unfortunately i dont know when she last shed so will just have to wait and see. thanks for you help it hard when its your first snake so much trial and error.

I feed my 4 in their own enclosures. I make sure I have no scent of rats on me and I have no trouble.

Howdy horseychic....you have any horses?
I feed all my kids in their enclosures,i take them out for a play and while i have them out hubby will put dinner into the enclosure,it also helps convince them to go home.i get my snakes out all the time at any time of the day so they know not to expect food everytime they come and go.and the outdoor mesh enclosure is a no feed zone ever,cos everyone gets outdoor time in the mesh enclosure.

I house in pairs so in that case you must separate into tubs to feed. Also if the enclosure is landscaped it is also best to feed in tubs. Impaction is rare but does happen.

It really depends on the snake I guess. I feed my little guy in a seperate container, but I put him in 10 - 15mins before I actually feed him so he has a bit of time to settle down before feeding.

I feed all mine in there enclosures with no problems. With the hissing just keep her out One of mine does that but if you keep puting it back will get use to hissingat you to return to the enclosure.

Yes i do have horses, they are miniature horses.:D We have decided to trade her after she started to strike at the enclosure when i walked past, we are swapping her for an older adult snake who loves to be handled, she was good as gold for the reptile place i took her so maybe she didnt like me. getting a baby first up was not such a good idea.

feeding it in the enclosure is also good because when you take them out of the enclosure they know they arnt going to be fed its not feeding time.... it might then get protective of its enclosure also when you go to grab her.. wash your hands befores you pick her up so she doesnt smell any food scents...

sorry just ready your last post ... If its your frist snake your better of starting with a hatcling so you get to know it and it gets to know you alot more.. enjoy anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back