Crazy Ackie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardmech

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Both my Ackies handle really well and will walk up onto my arm and sit on my shoulder without any issues. One of them always freaks out if he wanders onto anything else though. You can sit on the floor with him sitting on you for 30+ mins only to have him calmly crawl onto the floor then go running off and being skittish for no apparent reason.

Even without people around he does the same thing, I left the enclosure open and hid out of his view once, he voluntarily climbed onto the floor took a few steps then went crazy as usual.

He's still pretty young, about 5 months old now. Any suggestions to get him to be comfortable outside his enclosure? Or is it just young monitor instinct that subsides as they get older? The funny thing is if I'm home and don't let him out for a little bit each day he gets grumpy and scratches at the window non-stop.

just doing what most lizards do mate, my beardie will not move at all when i handle him, i can put him on the floor and he wont move, then he will slowly start to move around then just go for gold and run around crazy haha. every living thing has its own personality :)

I bet you cannot catch him when you do take your eye off him & he decides to go to Bourke.
Cheers
Ian.

. Any suggestions to get him to be comfortable outside his enclosure? Or is it just young monitor instinct that subsides as they get older?

Small Monitors rarely become 'settled' - I have seen the occasional Ackie that will but generally they will tolerate handling but take off if the opportunity arises.

You seem to have an expectation that your Ackie will be able to be handled, this is generally not the case. My expectation would be that they do not become 'tame' and any that does is the exception rather than the rule.

If you want a lizard to hold buy a Beardie

Small Monitors rarely become 'settled' - I have seen the occasional Ackie that will but generally they will tolerate handling but take off if the opportunity arises.

You seem to have an expectation that your Ackie will be able to be handled, this is generally not the case. My expectation would be that they do not become 'tame' and any that does is the exception rather than the rule.

If you want a lizard to hold buy a Beardie
He's fine with handling, he just runs like crazy when ever he can get onto the floor regardless of if he was being handled or not. The other one is still skittish like most monitors but it will calmly stroll around and investigate it's surroundings as long as it isn't startled. The funny thing is he is generally the calmer and bolder of the two in any other situation.

So ackies aren't really tamable,is that the general go?im gonna ask a stupid ? but i can't help it........does the younger you get them increase you chances of taming them?i would love to get one for myself but just can't afford it yet.......hahahahaaha......story of the herpers life.

My ackie is great! It is just as tame as my beardie and its still only young. I take it out on the trampoline for 1 hour of sun a week and he just sits there happily. He sits on my shoulder and lap when im watching tv and often falls asleep haha. Dont worry though they definately (with some patience) tame out, and mine's only 15cm. Just handle them reguarly get them used to you show them your no threat and they make wonderful pets :)

Thanks reptilerookie.would you suggest anyone in particular to make enquires to.where did you get yours,private or petshop?

Yes. I Highly highly reccomend Daavid. He has helped me so much and is a great trusty breeder. I arranged to meet up with him at the melbourne expo and got it there. On aps his name is- HerpShop with the picture of the sufing kangaroo. If you are looking into them definately contact him. Looking into getting an ackie? You wont look back Sookie! Good luck!

So ackies aren't really tamable,is that the general go?im gonna ask a stupid ? but i can't help it........does the younger you get them increase you chances of taming them?i would love to get one for myself but just can't afford it yet.......hahahahaaha......story of the herpers life.
Both of mine which I got off Daavid are really tame, the male one is just a bit hyperactive and crazy. Hes not mean or anything just unbelievably fast and can somehow jump 50+ cm. I don't know if all ackies are the same though, mine seemed to be naturally tame, never had any threat displays from them and they don't seem irritated by being handled.

Thanks guys for the name to talk to.are ackies expensive to purchase a young one?my big beardie Squish is a legend,my constant companion,he goes most places with me and gets stroppy if i leave him home.he likes being outside in his harness and lead munching on the grass and being with the 2 mini chiahuahuas.recently i thought i would try him on some kitten chicky meat,didn't expect him to bury his whole face in it.hahahahahahaha.right now he is sitting on my laptop watching me type,extra full tummy with kitty chicken and snowpea sprouts enjoying being part of the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back