interesting news piece

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other wildlife advocates slam the concept of native animals as pets as mercenary and cruel.

Australian Wildlife Protection Council president Maryland Wilson said it was wrong to keep nocturnal animals as pets.

"People want to play with them by day and they interfere with their natural basic instincts and behaviour patterns.

"They should be free from cruelty and exploitation."

Wow... who isn't against keep native animals.

I think Maryland Wilson needs to be told that cats are a nocturnal predator.;)

They don't really need to worry about an animals natural behaviour for feeding etc, because they no longer need it they will be fed and pampered...

I think Maryland Wilson needs to be told that cats are a nocturnal predator.;)

I was thinking that too....
and so are rabbits/guinea pigs, aren't they?

birds are flock animals, dogs are pack animals...since when do we care about keeping the animal in happy natural way!

Australian Wildlife Protection Council president Maryland Wilson said it was wrong to keep nocturnal animals as pets.
"People want to play with them by day and they interfere with their natural basic instincts and behaviour patterns.

Wow. Some people just have no idea, do they?
Even if her point was valid, I "play" with my pythons at night time anyway seeing as though, you know, I actually work..

This will never happen.

They just aren't suitable as companion pets. If they were it would be done already.

Obviously my opinion is a little biased, but these animals are not interferred with during ther sleep cycle except for when photographers and visual media want pictures of them and of course when they are being re homed.

These animals are already being kept by many people in 3 states and most people find that being nocturnal suits them fine as they are not home until after 5-6 pm of a night time anyway.

These animals like cats and dogs do become bonded to there owners when the adequate amount of time is spent with them.

The other point I will raise on the issue is with habitat destruction and the increase in predatory animals possums like these can easily got the way of the feather tail gliders, captive breeding will give wildlife authorities a vast pool of genetic diverse animals should they ever need to re populate areas where they have become extinct.

Cheers,
John

Qoulls ,unless hand raised, tend to be psychopaths. Or so I am told....... But I've seen it as well

i am constantly baffled by the laws that allow anyone to keep most of the animals that have been responsible for mass extinctions in this country, and yet permits are required for animals that should be roaming our neighbourhood

Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, nocturnal predators?
Sweet cuddly balls of fluff by day, vicious killers by night lol

Having been bitten by a feral rabbit as a toddler on my granddads property I say Yes they are!!! And it didn't wait for the cover of night.

Interesting thread. I have a friend who researches local tiger Quoll populations and he says they make fantastic pets when hand reared and bond, mostly in a positive manner, given certain husbandry constraints. However, he's still vehemently against the widespread establishment of captive populations (as in pet trade) for some obvious reasons and believes wild habitat / populations may suffer increasing degredation due to a "who cares" attitude. He also believes if there's no habitat, what's the point! I'd probably get a pair, if ever available, though:)!

Attachments

• Richard_&_quoll-0003 [1600x1200].jpg
    Richard_&_quoll-0003 [1600x1200].jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 44
The tiger quolls Chris Humphries had on tele the other night seemed pretty relaxed and cute!

It baffles me that sugar gliders are so widely kept as pets overseas but not here. They are fantastic little creatures and can make the most incredible noises.

i have read a paper on silver foxes being breed to become tame i know foxes are freal but they apparently turned out like domestic dogs within a few gens... i think almost any warm blooded animal can be breed to a domestic pet if a commited person is willing to commit to gens of selective breeding

as long as the animals are bread from already captive stock i think it should be alowed,
would prefere to see escaped possums and glyders or quolls than any captive indoor and outdoor cat!
i also agree with most not being home daylight and nocturnal animals suit alot of people :)

Nato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back