Go Back To Where You Came From

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Last time a thread was posted about this it got deleted because of a single member being a moron and a bigot. So hopefully this time people can be intelligent and civil about it.
Anyway this show starts tonight and I think it looks like it will be very educational and insightful. Hopefully it will change the minds of some people and help others understand the truth about what these people go through.

The Show | About | Go Back to Where You Came From on SBS

The unfortunate part of the whole asylum seeker thing is sorting out who is truly an asylum seeker, who are just queue jumpers and who are criminals. The true asylum seekers, whose lives are in danger in their home countries, need to be processed and rehoused quickly and the rest sent back.....just as quick. Unfortunately it is a difficult process.

That was a shame that that certain member was that stupid and immature on my thread... wait it wasnt me was it ;)
But yes that show looks very interesting, the boat people situation is a tough one. They're escaping their country because they have no choice, but they're still illegal immigrants. Morally they should be allowed in, but legally they shouldnt. But I dont think boat people are evil, and I think anyone in that situation would do what they do, and some morons (yes I'm looking at you, Tony Abbot) need to understand this. Some people didnt even care when the christmas island crash happened, because they are "just boat people"

Like Fugawi said, I'm not entirely sure it's illegal if they are genuinely seeking asylum. So there is nothing illegal about it, the system is just pretty complicated. I don't know enough about it to say this for sure though. Hopefully this show will clear it up though

As been said, the system is fairly complex as all the checks that need to be done to establish if they are genuine asylum seekers. They simply need to respect this, starting riots and burning down buildings isn't the way. I can understand the accomodation they're in probably isn't great, but I'm sure it's better than what they had from where they're fleeing from.

The problem is the sheer numbers of them and where to store all these people that don't have IDs while you try to check who they are and determine whether we grant them asylum. They come from countries that don't keep very good records or are too busy fighting to care. It is a long, complex task and in the end, what do you do with the "Don't know" pile? This is a problem that governments around the world are still pondering with no answers.

Everyone stop calling them boat people. 97% of them come by plane.
Boat people was a phrase used for political gain.
It's aim to make us sound like we are being "invaded"

Every year Australia resettles 13 500 refugees out of the approx 10 500 500, and on average people wait 17 years in refugess camps this is called the "queue"
In 2009/10 there was about 90 000 refugees resettled and Australia resettled 11000 of those people. The Aust Department of Immigration, tell us that it makes us the 2nd highest re-settler of refugees globally per head of the population. 2nd only to the USA.

Although in terms of recognizing asylum seekers as refugees Australia ranks 39th in the world according the UNHCR
4/5 Asylum seekers who come by BOAT are found to be genuine asylum seekers.
Australia is part of the UN Refugee convention meaning by under international law it is illegal to Australia to refuse anyone seeking asylum.

Asylum seekers are generally forced to leave their countries due to persecution but unlike refugees they do not have the means to go through UN processing centres before leaving for Australia. So there is no queue for them to join.

In 2009/10 there was 827 000 asylum seekers, 4 775 fleed to Australia where the vast majority came by plane. 161 came by boat.

You compare the stats.
Also where can I watch this onlline?

Last edited:
One of the tabs in the link I posted has a watch online option. It will probably only show each episode as they are shown on tv though

Yeah that's what I meant in the last part. You can probably only watch it after the first one is shown tonight

The problem is the sheer numbers of them and where to store all these people that don't have IDs while you try to check who they are and determine whether we grant them asylum. They come from countries that don't keep very good records or are too busy fighting to care. It is a long, complex task and in the end, what do you do with the "Don't know" pile? This is a problem that governments around the world are still pondering with no answers.

The biggest problem is the portrayal of "sheer numbers" as you have done here fugawi... There are tens of thousands more who come here every year with holiday visas and arrive by plane, and stay here with no intention of returning to their home countries. The "sheer numbers" you talk about - the so-called 'boat people' you mention are a tiny drop in the ocean..

Jamie

Australia, like other western countries have an obligation to process people who are literally running from persecution in their own country. It is international law.

I was talking about asylum seekers in our detention centres, overstayers are a different story altogether. I have no sympathy for them.

sure something needs to be done to better the system, but frankly the topic is too large to delicate and too complex for me to be able to make any realistic and helpful judgment on who should do what. and dare i say that applies to most people as well.

with out a full understanding of all the Moral and political implications of all actions taken or not taken, i don't think one could realistically say they should do this or that.

if it was a simple issue and solution well then the problem would not exist still.

please don't misconstrue what i said, every one is entitled to their opinion and ideas and certainly all it takes for evil to win is for good people to do nothing.

Last edited:
I was talking about asylum seekers in our detention centres, overstayers are a different story altogether. I have no sympathy for them.

asylum seekers and overstayers should be seen in a slightly different perspective imho
they tend to be taken advantage by whoever employs em (which in itself is a problem), and most of the time they're trying to get a better standard of living than wherever they come from.
In alot of 3rd world countries the rich get richer and the poor are neglected, its a massive social problem altogether, especially when you have a dodgy government
so i wouldnt say it's entirely their fault, sometimes the system does fail the people its supposed to help

on the other hand i'll never quite understand why pic Australia if that was indeed the case
this country has one of the highest standards of living from some of the places i've visited

Last edited:
if their asylum seekers why do they throw their passports away? what do they have to hide? flame me, but i say send them back to where they came from. this country cant afford them. we cant even look after the true australians that need homes, medical treatment, decent paying jobs so they can afford to live in this so called lucky country

Yup, definitely a tough issue. We make community visits to the detention centres and meet the 'clients' (as they're referred to by the centre). To speak to them and hear their stories is unreal. The conditions in which these people are kept are far from ideal and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I understand the dissapointed of some of the people, they fled their countries because they were being persecuted/abused/had their rights taken from them. They came to this country seeking the aid that the 'West' promises, only to be confined in a detention centre for years on end.

However, I also understand the need to assess each individual asylum seeker to ensure that they do not pose a threat to the country they are trying to move to. I do not believe it should be taking us years to do this.

I also think referring to them as 'boat people' is quite derogatory. I find that a lot of people fail to understand the situtations that these people are running from. They pin their hopes, leave all belongings behind, to try and start a new life. They give up everything they know, to try and come here and live the normal lives that most of us take for granted. I don't think the solution is to try and fight over how many 'boat people' we can stop from entering our country.

if their asylum seekers why do they throw their passports away? what do they have to hide? flame me, but i say send them back to where they came from. this country cant afford them. we cant even look after the true australians that need homes, medical treatment, decent paying jobs so they can afford to live in this so called lucky country
You'll probably find that a lot of hem don't have passports to being with. When you're living under a unilateral dictatorship, things like a passport aren't as easy to get as filling out a form and going down to the post office

Beat me to it J.

If more people knew the truth about how many illegal immigrants arrive through our airports they would be shocked. The fact is that more illegal immigrants come through Sydney airport alone each week than come on boats in an entire year. I was amazed to discover this.

When you consider this, it's appalling that the issue 'boat people' continues to determine how Australia is governed.

Over stayers are a bigger problem that so called assylum seekers.. Most over stayers just want to be here cause the weather in their country or they can't find a stable job in their country (that's an economic problem and not a persecution problem) which is crap. This does though clog the system as well, as some over stayers are placed in detention centre. You also have illegal migrants that come in here under false identities/visa via planes so when these ones get caught they have no real identity and no record on where to "send them back to", again creating a back log. These are your que jumpers... which as a first gen migrant myself from a country considered to be "third world", I have no symphaty for as we went through the correct procedures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back