Question about breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilefreak95

Reaction score
Im a newbie to breeding and i want to breed my male soon, he is 2 years old and i want to know what age would be suitable to breed at? for the female too, i was thinking about 4 years? and also any helpful tips and tricks about breeding darwins will be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks,
Ryan

haha lol thats pree funny, i just thought i'd come to a place where an experienced breeder would be able to give me some tips :)

hey im fairly new but most morelias breed at around 3-4 some at 2 and a half. The biggest tip is to make sure your female is really fat that way you can get a larger clutch. I am trying to breed my jungles and they are about 2 and a half and so far doing nothing so maybe next year they will breed. Also make sure your temps are right you dont want them to be too warm otherwise they may not breed.
Hope this helped Ryan.

you dont want them really fat but just at a nice healthy weight, being to fat can cause the eggs to become infertile and render your female usless. wait till they are atleast 3 or so, because then they have that extra time to mature becuase there is no point rushing things because pushing your animals too hard can end badly

Ryan, you are asking for helpful tips, one could write two pages on that ..... why not to look up a book? "Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons" covers all basic information and more, on every species - it's a good start and if you THEN need some specific information, ask on forum.

There is a lot more to breeding than just throwing 2 snakes together.
You IMO have to condition the snakes long before an attempt, This means
feeding regimes need to be altered, the way you heat and cool the snakes need to be taken into account etc etc etc.
Breeding is a 12 month project from the inital consideration right through
to completion.

i completly agree beeman
you cant decide to breed a snake at this time of the year and im not saying you are but i know for my pair i have fed them up to the weight i want them to be at and have cooled them gone through the regeme of seperating and reintroducing
although others may not do it i do because i notice he tends to drop off after a week or so

I don't see why you are sending him to google , isn't this a reptile forum ? where better to ask and get reptile info than on a reptile forum ...

It's funny that only a little while back you were asking similar questions your self .....
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/advice-breeding-beardies-99262/
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/breed-crickets-98913/

Ryan , 3-4 years would be a good age to look at breeding them , but as others have said there is a lot more work you will need to do than just chucking them in a cage , conditioning , cooling etc then you will need to house the hatchlings , sell them , get them feeding etc .
Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons is a great book with stack of info on most commonly kept pythons.

Before you start breeding your Darwin you might want to think about what you will do with the hatchies . Now that the price on Albinos has dropped below $500 and Hets are $150 standard Darwins are unsellable . I have seen them in pet shops for $90 and not selling , private as low as $40 and not selling . Dont get me wrong they are my fav python but I have stopped breeding all but the most unusual colourings .

I don't see why you are sending him to google , isn't this a reptile forum ? where better to ask and get reptile info than on a reptile forum ...

It's funny that only a little while back you were asking similar questions your self .....
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/advice-breeding-beardies-99262/
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/breed-crickets-98913/

Ryan , 3-4 years would be a good age to look at breeding them , but as others have said there is a lot more work you will need to do than just chucking them in a cage , conditioning , cooling etc then you will need to house the hatchlings , sell them , get them feeding etc .
Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons is a great book with stack of info on most commonly kept pythons.

when i first started out i used google heaps and yes i did ask questions but i was like what... 13 and just starting with reptiles. not bagging him or anything just pointing him to use google cause it can be ver very helpful. i have to admit looking back i looked like an ignorant snot nose and thinking "did i really ask that". thats how much ive come along since then. i was a total noob ahah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back