Help with BHP Shed :-(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gosia

Reaction score
HI :)

Our BHP is having trouble with her shed. In the last year, we have not changed her enclosure, temperatures or anything for that matter but the last 2 sheds have been terrible. All in pieces and she's having trouble getting it off. I also think her colour is off. Last shed I went and got her one of those sprays that meant to help with shedding - but b/w u and me it did ****! She still feeds ok. Any ideas? Should I get a UV light for her?

Your environment for this time of year is not correct, There is very little humidity in the air at the moment and this will more than likely be the cause.

You need to place a water dish closer to the heat source to increase the humidity levels when the next slough cycle is due and it should take care of the problem. No need to get a UV light either.

Don't use any store brought sprays, they're all a gimmick. A simple misting of water in her enclosure when she is coming up for a shed will do wonders. Also, you can add a water dish near her heat source for it to evaporate which will bump up her humidity. This will make shedding easier for her, but only do this if you notice her to be coming up for a shed.

For a failed shed, the best method is to have a warm damp/wet towel and cover her in it. Hold her lightly through the towel and let her move through it. This method has removed all the retained sheds which my pythons have had.

If that fails, apparently paw-paw ointment works wonders.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and I was using breeders pellets as a substrate. As soon as I changed him onto newspaper it stopped happening. In regards to the trouble shedding, when you see it`s coming into shed try giving it a good warm soaking for half an hour for a couple of days. If it`s shed is still not 100% give a warm soak in a plastic tub with the lid on but not too deep then put her into a pillow case with enough room to move a bit this can help to take left over skin off gently.

Your environment for this time of year is not correct, There is very little humidity in the air at the moment and this will more than likely be the cause.

You need to place a water dish closer to the heat source to increase the humidity levels when the next slough cycle is due and it should take care of the problem. No need to get a UV light either.

Thanx - water dish moved :)

Thanx guys - love your work :)

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and I was using breeders pellets as a substrate. As soon as I changed him onto newspaper it stopped happening. In regards to the trouble shedding, when you see it`s coming into shed try giving it a good warm soaking for half an hour for a couple of days. If it`s shed is still not 100% give a warm soak in a plastic tub with the lid on but not too deep then put her into a pillow case with enough room to move a bit this can help to take left over skin off gently.

You might be on to something! I am using pellets as a substrare. Ok newspaper here we come:)

You might have to feed her more-
If underfed, they lack enough protein to shed properly

You can moisturize her, I ended up doing this with one of mine, on a little patch under her chin where she always seemed to leave there. (I just used a hypo allergenic one)

NO NO NO, leave the water dish on the cold side,
yes by having water on the warm side will bump up the humidity, but I'm 90% sure if the water is warm it creates an ideal environment for bacteria to grow very fast. The water that she will drink from leave on the cold side.
I would put water in a container, with lots of holes in the lid, or fly wire over it on the warm side so she cant drink form it at least.

Would the paw paw ointment make it easier for her to burn?
Just like putting vaseline on a burn... it's an oil... it gets hot quick.
I dunno if it's the same for snakes... but I know in my first aid course they said to never put vaseline type products or your lips out in the sun or on a burn as it will retain the heat...

You might have to feed her more-
If underfed, they lack enough protein to shed properly

You can moisturize her, I ended up doing this with one of mine, on a little patch under her chin where she always seemed to leave there. (I just used a hypo allergenic one)

NO NO NO, leave the water dish on the cold side,
yes by having water on the warm side will bump up the humidity, but I'm 90% sure if the water is warm it creates an ideal environment for bacteria to grow very fast. The water that she will drink from leave on the cold side.
I would put water in a container, with lots of holes in the lid, or fly wire over it on the warm side so she cant drink form it at least.

Would the paw paw ointment make it easier for her to burn?
Just like putting vaseline on a burn... it's an oil... it gets hot quick.
I dunno if it's the same for snakes... but I know in my first aid course they said to never put vaseline type products or your lips out in the sun or on a burn as it will retain the heat...

Lol, sorry to seem harsh but this is advice coming from someone who recently asked if a jumpy snake means it's blind. I would ignore this "NO, NO, NO" statement. I also doubt that you need to feed her more. Just sounds like the enclosure is too dry simply due to the dry winter season. Like I said, just add an extra water dish to near the heat source when you see her coming up to a shed. Also, the paw-paw ointment method does not include leaving the ointment on the snake for an extended period of time. I haven't used this method yet, so I can not comment on it other than that others have had great success with it.

regarding the pawpaw stuff, unless its a stubborn tail tip (which i have left overnight) its on fro about 5 mins, it seems to work pretty much instantly in my experience, the snake gets washed and towel dried before going back into the enclosure.

Lol, sorry to seem harsh but this is advice coming from someone who recently asked if a jumpy snake means it's blind. I would ignore this "NO, NO, NO" statement. I also doubt that you need to feed her more. Just sounds like the enclosure is too dry simply due to the dry winter season. Like I said, just add an extra water dish to near the heat source when you see her coming up to a shed. Also, the paw-paw ointment method does not include leaving the ointment on the snake for an extended period of time. I haven't used this method yet, so I can not comment on it other than that others have had great success with it.

All I did in my comment was, knock out things it could be...

The jumpy snake post, I never asked because it's jumpy is it blind?...
there were a few things that made me wonder.

As You and Beeman said, place a water dish not the water dish on the warm side.
As the post starter has said that THE water dish has been moved...
not another one placed in it...

I never said that you were wrong...

With the paw paw part...
Maybe you should of said that in the beginning... as I was in the belief you meant to rub the snake in paw paw ointment and leave it there.

So sorry to seem harsh,
but read things properly before you get all defensive about something.

As far as I know, as long as you clean the waterbowl properly and regularly, there shouldn't be a bacteria issue with having the water bowl on the warm side.

As far as I know, as long as you clean the waterbowl properly and regularly, there shouldn't be a bacteria issue with having the water bowl on the warm side.

Agreed. I empty, rinse and dry mine before re-filling it to go back into the tub every second day. no problem in having a warmer water dish as long as it's maintained.

Thanx. Just to clear up some issues my post have created (sorry) I did replace the substrare with paper. Placed an EXTRA water dish under heat lamp. (which will get replaced daily:). Paw paw cream - will leave as last resort and yes only for short time. Wet towel did wonders thanx chantell savage :)

Took her out today for a good sun dose (thanx melbourne weather) and now fingers crossed. Will keep you updated and thanx for all yr input!
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/member/chantelle_savage-19540/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back