snake always in cool end?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

striker321

Reaction score
hey i was just wondering if it was normal for a coastal to spend most of his time on the cool side? he sits perched in the top corner most of the day, at about 22c

Sometimes it is quite normal. All you need to do is ensure the snake has access to a warm spot if it wants to warm up. Just because they generally like heat doesn't mean they want to have a constantly elevated temperature.

Jamie

he sounds like my coastal, i'm sure she has tassie bloodlines..... loves spending time at the cool end which is also like yours and 20 ish so i wouldnt be too concerned, Like jamie has said, if he has access to heat and is chosing not to be there, then he doesnt want it. simple :)

Wouldn't hurt to check the temperatures of your warm end either, make sure it isn't too hot for him.

32 to 35 is pretty warm for any snake
I dont even use that for Chondros
coastals are usually pretty happy at 30C

He's probably basking when you're not around. With an appropriately heated basking spot a snake can bask for 1-2 hours a day then be happy hanging out in the cooler end of the enclosure. It's why the gradient is so important.
32-35 is a good basking temp for a coastal. Just because snakes have a preferred body temp doesnt mean that should be the hottest part of the enclosure. They should have a nice range above and below that, with a hot spot a good 5 degrees or more above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back