Blood

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dihsmaj

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Say if a snake were to bite my father and draw a bit of blood, then bite me soon afterward, could it give me my dad's Hepatitis C?

I would think it would be very unlikely however the risk may be there. I think you would be at more risk getting a infection from the bite rather then Hep C. Talk to a doctor if your really concerned.

im curious at the risks to the snake

Blood-borne viruses are usually pretty species-specific. In the odd chance that it does jump between species, it's usually from closely related (genetically similar), e.g. chimp to human, human to chimp. Snakes are so genetically different, that a virus which has adapted to the human body would not be able to propagate using the same mechanisms in an ectotherm.

I think although the risk is quite minimal it would be worth being tested. Very small chance but a chance none-the less.

Yes if the bite happened to you immediately after biting your dad you definitely can catch it....i remember reading somewhere that this and salmonella infection is the greatest risk from snake bites. Hep C is highly contageous blood to blood......do not risk it....there was a case in melbourne where a Chef had Hep C and cut his finger..as he was cutting a cake....he didnt cover his finger and some blood got on the cake....people in the restaurant ate the cake and got Hep C. There was a boig investigation as to how it happened......so you be careful

I was in a pet shop once and wanted to hold a jungle...it bit the shop assistant and he asked me if I then wanted a hold...not knowing him I said no....because I knew if the snake bit me there was a chance if that shop assistant had a blood born illness I would catch it.....and it just isnt worth the risk.

Last edited:
The HepC virus can last outside a body for about 30 minutes, so maybe wise to get checked.

Blood-borne viruses are usually pretty species-specific. In the odd chance that it does jump between species, it's usually from closely related (genetically similar), e.g. chimp to human, human to chimp. Snakes are so genetically different, that a virus which has adapted to the human body would not be able to propagate using the same mechanisms in an ectotherm.

A hypodermic needle is not of the same species, yet still spreads hep C

As others have said, the answer is yes. I would add the rider that it would basically have to draw blood on both bites. If it did happen, I would advice sueezing the bite site to make it bleed and then rubbing in plenty of straight Betadine into the wound site i.e. All punctures, ASAP. This should of course be followed up by a visit to the doctor to organise testing for the virus.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back