Best way to detach a snake from you finger/hand....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shea_and_ruby

Reaction score
So this is the situation at the moment:

adam bite.jpg

Better him than me though! hehehe. So he has been attached for a few minutes, tried putting his head a running tap but to no avail. so what is the best method for getting them to let go? i tried tickling him but it only made him bite harded, which hubby didn't apprecite :p

p.s i just started a thread about moving these guys onto frozen food as we have just got them from a guy who only feed them live mice, wonder if it is related....

put your hand in a bucket of water,he should let go to come up for air

you could try and put a teaspoon upside down under his top jaw, and slide it towards his throat, and he should release grip, my spotted did the same thing and released as soon as the spoon stopped she let go

Big blow in the snakes face (grow up, you know what i mean) will cause most small pythons to release their grip. failing that a handy squirty bottle, on high squirt (as opposed to spray) can work.
I imagine, if the water was scented / flavoured, the snake would release easier.
A big python gets you and its usually a case of wait for it to let go or hold its head under water..and even this could take 10 minutes.

we use metho on a cloth and wave it in front of their nose....they hate the smell of it.....

So this is the situation at the moment:

View attachment 221318

Better him than me though! hehehe. So he has been attached for a few minutes, tried putting his head a running tap but to no avail. so what is the best method for getting them to let go? i tried tickling him but it only made him bite harded, which hubby didn't apprecite :p

p.s i just started a thread about moving these guys onto frozen food as we have just got them from a guy who only feed them live mice, wonder if it is related....

Mouth wash releases them.

Hey I just got bitten by one of my young BHPs keen for a feed. I was just droping the rat in front of him & he grabed my hand thinking that it was food. I have become complacent with these young BHPs as they normally shy away & eat of the ground.

Anyway about time I woke up & fed them with tongs. She held on as though she had her catch & wraped around my arm, not wanting to let go. As I have had this experience with larger pythons I allways keep a bottle of Metho on the bar & all I did was dip my finger in the bottle of metho & then in front of the snakes nose & she let go straight away & came up gasping for a few seconds.. She then immediatly went to the food & ate it.
Metho works for me & saves a lot of damage to the animal.

Cheers
Ian

I had my biggest python latch on only recently....usually the best method i have used, is a bucket of water in which you submerse them in, the only problem this time was the snake was to large and so wouldn't fit. So after a few tears and screams from my niece, i poured a little jack daniels on my hand which made him retreat almost at once...Id be lying if i said it never hurt

next time keep bottle of metho and long earbuds nearby... just dipbud in metho and wave under snakes nose.... they bail everytime...

I had my biggest python latch on only recently....usually the best method i have used, is a bucket of water in which you submerse them in, the only problem this time was the snake was to large and so wouldn't fit. So after a few tears and screams from my niece, i poured a little jack daniels on my hand which made him retreat almost at once...Id be lying if i said it never hurt

I hope you didn't waste the Jack Daniels afterwards. :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest to make yourself a cuppa, sit back and relax and wait till he realises you're too big to fit in his mouth.

thanks guys, he used a paddle pop stick and pried him off lol

just remember they have backward facing teeth, i've heard a credit card works well, but given that he seems to have hold of the fingertip its probably not practical so the paddlepop sticks were a good choice.

what is it with these little guys ??? they all seem to have their abilities confused with their ambition - bite first ask questions later.

I've been really lucky, i have 6 morellia in the house and not once have I been hit and wrapped. i have had a few hit and run "go away' nips. and considering one of them is pushing the 8ft mark I will admit i'm not overly keen on a hit and wrap from her ! !

maybe i should keep some mouthwash handy just in case 'murphy' is listening LOL

Gosh Ive been so lucky. Alvin did it once by mistake and I just pulled my hand out of his enclosure snake coild and all and just rubbed his belly and talked to him and he let go....looked at me as if to say..whoops that was pretty stupid wasnt it....

if I get a good one I will ahve to photograph it I think !!

For hatchlings, I just blow in there face.

For small to medium sized snakes, I hold there head under a fast running, cold tap.

For large snakes (or snakes that the previous methods haven't worked on), I drop some alcohol (or anything with a strong alcohol smell to it) in there face. The alcohol also works on lizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back