Best way to detach a snake from you finger/hand....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive always heard a couple drops of rubbing alcohol works great, i think i would use normal alcohol though, like vodka

A fella who had a reptile display at some event at Coffs last weekend suggested to his crowd that rubbing toothpaste on the snakes mouth is another way that works for him.

I have had my hand mistaken as food sometimes I sont do anything to remove them they soon realise and let go they have frafile mouths and can easily loose there teeth

Between the listerine and the toothpaste, they would certainly have a nice clean bite... not menion a great looking smile!

Blue

Under the tap has always worked for me, but I'll remember metho as well. My olive had a good go at me on the weekend. Should have known he was hungry, my fault

We've always found a short sharp puff of breath into the mouth or failing that, running water/bucket of water to be fine. No snake is going to be that into your flavour that they'll drown to keep it. Besides, it makes me gag having strong odours such as pure alcohol/meth right under my nose, I can only imagine the agony for an animal with such finely tuned olfactory senses as a python having it directly on the face. I certainly wouldn't try prying the animal off either given how delicate their jaws and teeth are.
Whatever works best for you though.

Instead of alcohol or metho, has anyone tried straight white vinegar (undiluted 100% vinegar - no added water) as a "take your breath away" option without the possibility of any ill effects (I'd be quite nervous to put metho near my snake, I don't even keep it at home and we're not big straight spirit drinkers so don't have that handy)

I found that it is brilliant for 'naughty' pets in a spray bottle as it's not a very nice experience being sprayed in the face with it (believe me, I have been LOL, it knocks the breath out of you for a set and makes you pull backwards) so would imagine it would be as horrible for snakes?

Thoughts on that one would be appreciated too. Ta all.

Alcohol based hand wash. Great for cleaning the hands prior and after cleaning / hygiene, and handy to have close by for this reason also

Which part of the snake do you drill?

The angry part.

This trick won't work on a finger, but rolling a drill bit down your arm away from the bite while twisting it will grab the skin and pull it off the teeth. Won't always work, but you'll try anything when something big has been hanging on for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back