Mixed results for the albino 'mac' project: Snake Ranch news

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redline

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We had anticipated producing a reasonable number of albino macs this year, but our star white male (and up until now the only albino Antaresia – mac or otherwise, that we have seen) had other ideas, and for the first time in three years, did not make a good showing in the reproductive stakes – producing only one small clutch despite being paired with four able and willing heterozygous females. If that wasn’t bad enough, the heterozygous males and females that we paired produced a much smaller than the anticipated 1:4 ratio of white to normal looking young (closer to 1:12) while at the same time a proportion of each of the three clutches of eggs produced died during incubation, suggesting the possibility of a lethal gene combination associated with the recessive genetic condition that suppresses melanin production. With this in mind, we are going keep the very few white young produced, as these may in fact be (relatively) genetically advantaged. We will continue to outbreed, and hopefully will be able to produce more robust albinos in the next year or two. We will only offer these when we believe the line is more viable. This unfortunate outcome is especially disappointing as we know how devastated those people who ordered albinos will be. Deposits will of course be immediately repaid.

Thats what i was told has been happening with the other projects that are based on hets,allot of eggs die during incubation,albinos dead in eggs etc,lethal gene,been happening for afew years now.

Definitely an unfortunate set back! Hopefully they'll strengthen the line and all will be fine in the near future!
Goes to show that it pays to prove out a mutation rather than assuming it's strong and healthy and that you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

i had a feeling it might of ended this way, lets not forget the original male had kinks in it when it hatched, so it wasnt 100% right to begin with.

What about all those people who bought hets years ago?

What about all those people who bought hets years ago?
Do not put your eggs all in one basket:)

Honestly I would be devistated. More chance for the breeders to sell off more hets.

The information was always readily available & IMO those who bought hets went in with their eyes open......... The gene was not proven & there was no claim that it had been or at least how robust the gene was...... well that was my interpretation at the time of initial release & based my decision to purchase (or not to purchase in this case) on that information.

Welcome to the joy of breeding mutations.

Got the email before, i feel sorry for them being pushed back so far :(

It's not all bad news, at least those with het's wont have to worry about the market being flooded so soon.

Ok, I'll bite. I think the way to solve this is to breed the healthiest 100% het male you can find to the healthiest example of a normal/blonde mac female, then breed that 100% het male to the F1 and F2 from the 100% het to normal/blonde pairing. Might be a pain, but you'll end up with genetically healthier animals. And you should eventually end up with lots of 100% hets, or at least a lot of 66% hets, so you will just keep those hatchlings and grow them and then breed them together, from the F1 and F2, and of course with the 100% het male, if applicable. Should get some albinos from that. Might take 5 years, but worth it if one is patient enough.

l am under the VERY STRONG impression there was another albino mac. in Townsville a year or three ago and a very experienced person on this website tried to purchase it, l wonder what happened to that one.
.........solar 17 (Baden)

There are a number around but many snake breeders dont wont to work together. Look at the Albino Darwin project. It took a long time for Blondie and White Phoenix genetics to get together, but it is not always best to get a project going as quick as possible, depending upon which parameters you use to judge success.

l am under the VERY STRONG impression there was another albino mac. in Townsville a year or three ago and a very experienced person on this website tried to purchase it, l wonder what happened to that one.
.........solar 17 (Baden)

If you're referring to the one held by QPWS at Pallarenda, its movement was shrouded by corruption. The two people involved in the corruption (on the QPWS side) are no longer with the department. Not because of the underhanded deal though.

Baden, PM me the name of the very experienced person and I will confirm or deny.

If you're referring to the one held by QPWS at Pallarenda, its movement was shrouded by corruption. The two people involved in the corruption (on the QPWS side) are no longer with the department. Not because of the underhanded deal though.

Baden, PM me the name of the very experienced person and I will confirm or deny.
yes thats the one l was referring to.
.......solar 17 (Baden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back