Questions about first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filmstrip

Reaction score
Hey guys, as the title suggests I am buying my first snake soon and I'd love some help.
I've been talking to a breeder of Spotted Pythons local to me and I've put a deposit on one, yay :)
Anyway I've already got a melamine enclosure that is 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft and I've got 2 x 25w blue globes in there as the breeder suggested.
However my first question is when I left it for around 5 hours to warm up and it only got to around 29 degrees at the hot end. Will the 25w globes be enough?
I assume this isn't enough heat however I have the enclosure completely bare, no substrate or hides to keep heat in. Should the temperatures rise with adding substrate?
The breeder also mentioned using a heat mat in the hot end, will this make a major difference in a melamine enclosure?
I will be putting it under a tile in the enclosure under the substrate if I do get it though keep in mind.
Any other tips or advice will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

right, well, get a proper heat globe, and then a light globe, one heat globe ( i use exo-terra night glo) and they are about 50-75W and have them running non stop, then do a 12 hour cycle for the light globe. use a flourescent globe as it produces little, if no heat, and that should get the heat at the hot end up to 30-35, that will be good for a mac, and put everything in first, then get it going for a while, if it gets too hot, go lower wattage, if it doesnt get hot enough, go higher wattage :)
hope this helps a bit

i would just use a 75 to 100watt bulb,i use the flood lights you get from bunnings its alot cheaper,i dont personally like using heat mats but i do know people that use them,but like i said a single heat globe will be enough.

and get a globe cover, unless the cage has a mesh top and u got ur light hoods above it. but a light cage is a must if its inside the enclosure

Yea the breeder mentioned I'd need light cages if I was going for anything over 25w, however he uses 2 x 25w globes and it works fine for his etup, which is close to mine.
I might however try a flood light for bunnings, was there a few days ago looking for the blue globes and noticed afew.
Keep the replies coming though :D

Try a ceramic heat emitter I'd say, 60 watt should be enough... or even better, a radiator heater, I can never recommend radiator heaters enough!

Are you purchasing a hatchling spotted? If so it is recommended that you keep it in a click-clack for a while. If you search it on this forum there is plenty of info on them and even a thread on how to make one :)

I was originally going to get a hatchling but instead I went for a yearling just to avoid any more difficulties than I am already having :p
Had a look at the ceramic heater, went to all the trouble of going from screw fitting to bayonet fittings and its rapidly looking like I have to go back.
However would I be able to use the ceramic heater with a blue globe for night light? My room is generally pretty well lit during the day

I wouldn't even bother with a night light... but that's just me :)

I'd go back to the ES fitting for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back