bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicki71

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is a bredli that is 11 months old and snappy likely to calm down with regular handling?

not very offten you get a snappy bredli, it should calm down after time

Whether it will or not depends on why it is tagging you. It could just have a snappy personality, but could it be its environment? Does it have good hides? Is it stressed from being in a high traffic area? Is it fed well? How big is it, as smaller animals usually are snappy and calm down with size.

We are going to look at it tomorrow and considering buying it. To be honest I feel it is not being fed enough as they currenly are feeding it pinky rats my thoughts is it should be on a bigger rat than that

my 12 month old Bredli is on small adult rats... She is cage shy/defensive but fine once she is out...

They're all different though. I'd say go check it out and go with your gut feeling.

We are going to look at it tomorrow and considering buying it. To be honest I feel it is not being fed enough as they currenly are feeding it pinky rats my thoughts is it should be on a bigger rat than that

Pinky rat is very small for 11 months. If it has only been fed pinky rats there is a good chance it is also undersized for its age.

I think it probably is undersized as they say its 60cm to me that sounds small

I know I will probably get mixed replies it is worth looking at it if its undersized and snappy
Thank you everyone for your replies

I've got a male bredli that is a couple of years old, perfect size to him and he is the snappiest crankypants of a snake I have ever come across! He gives many of my jungles a run for their money :lol: Sometimes you just get the narky buggers of the lot, I'm still hoping that mine will settle with age, even if not completely, I'm sure yours will more than likely calm down progressively as it grows.

If undersized try feeding more frequently and up the size of meal accordingly.

I know I will probably get mixed replies it is worth looking at it if its undersized and snappy
Thank you everyone for your replies

Undersized: It's fine, you can just feed it up.
Snappy: Depends on if you'll put up with it or not. For people who like to often handle snappiness can be off putting.

Is this your first snake?

Its our second snake we had a stimmi but it went missing we think the neighbours kids had something to do with it as they knew it was missing without being told

Its our second snake we had a stimmi but it went missing we think the neighbours kids had something to do with it as they knew it was missing without being told

Then i'd go get your stimmy back =p.

I think they took it and released it as they seemed to think they should be the only ones with a snake and doubt their mum would let them keep it if she knew about it

I've got a male bredli that is a couple of years old, perfect size to him and he is the snappiest crankypants of a snake I have ever come across! He gives many of my jungles a run for their money :lol: Sometimes you just get the narky buggers of the lot, I'm still hoping that mine will settle with age, even if not completely, I'm sure yours will more than likely calm down progressively as it grows.

If undersized try feeding more frequently and up the size of meal accordingly.

I think you must have my bredli's twin brother.

My 3yr old female was a right bugger when i got her as a yearling, over the last couple of years she has settled down a lot, but is still flighty and will just try tag me every now and then. Thats why i never really trust her and always handle her with a hook. My B/G Jungle is the most placid snake so like has been said sometimes you get a calm one, sometimes you get satan just the luck of the draw.

I got my male 2 months ago and at 20 months he was only 50 cm long and 150 grams. I checked his feed chart and he had only been fed a velvet mouse every month and a half by the first owner and a wee mouse every 5 days for the previous 3 months by the guy I got him off. He was extremely cage defensive and when you got him out would hiss and thrash around in an attempt to escape, when that failed he would strike with 100% accuracy at anything he could reach. After two weeks he actually enjoyed coming out and checking things out but was still a look but dont touch kinda snake and after being out for 10 mins would start striking to let you know he had had enough. Due to my carpal tunnel acting up the last 3 weeks I had only had him out to weigh him and clean his tank. Ive had him out the last 3 days and he is like a new snake, he is a little unsure for the first minute but no striking or hissing. He is now on velvet rats and just over 3 ft. I can do anything in his tank and the only thing he does is raise his head slightly to see if food is involved and then puts it down again when he realises there is none.

You will definitely need to get the feeding right from the beginning.
A yearling should be on small to medium rats by now.
Feeding every fortnight.

If you decide on buying this one, I would feed it then put it away for a week for some alone time. Then handle daily until it calms down. It should calm down, this species is not known for being aggressive.

Keep kids from next door well away, and make sure enclosure has lock or a guarding Rottweiler.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back