EXTREMELY ... aggressive spotted python :/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyAlker

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone,

I have a very sad story of a spotted.

Friend A bought a spotted to overcome his fear of snakes. So after being bitten a couple of times by the juvie, he gave up and then gave it away to my other friend, Friend B, who already owned a snake.

The small enclosure friend A bought with the spotted was also passed onto friend B. The lid for this enclosure was broken, so B fixed it with gaff tape.... This spotted was quite the escape artist. She tried escaping and became stuck to the gaff tape, along her face and down the side of her neck. Friend B then tried to pull the gaff tape off, Friend B said 'as carefully as possible.' The spotted recovered and was left with no scars.

As Friend B already owned a childrens python he decided to chuck the spotted in with childrens. They were both fed in the same enclosure, which led to many complications, often the spotted would begin to constrict the childrens after or during a feed.

The spotted would often escape its shared enclosure and was left to roam around the house until it was found. Once found it was caught with socks on hands. Sometimes it was left to roam the house for many months.

My two friends are work friends, i am now good friends with friend B. After hearing about this horrific spotteds story, i took the spotted 'off their hands,' as after being left to roam the house for about 6 months, she was looking a little thin.

I gave the spotted her own medium enclosure. She is now fed 1 - 2 times a fortnight. She is looking a lot healthier. She is also very active and is a great snake to sit back and watch.

I am not an experienced snake owner, i have only had snakes for about 2 - 3 years and i still make mistakes sometimes. My problem is that this spotted is now very angry and vicious.

She will strike and constrict almost anything, including snake hooks, boxes, rocks. She struck the snake hook and wrapped around it and i heard her teeth grinding against the metal. She is fast and agile. She does scare me a bit which makes trying to clean her enclosure a nightmare. I cannot get her out, she just wraps and holds onto something or strikes the snake hook. She has a hide but doesnt hide in it often. I don't want to accidentally hurt her but i don't know how to deal with her. I never handle her because of her past, which is fine because she is stunning just to look at. Any advice on how to make cleaning time and checks ups a bit easier would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading my very long story! My two friends are ignorant and stupid, i do not condone their actions at all!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, she is now about 3 years old.

Last edited:
Sounds like normal hungry Juvie behaviour, Bring its feed back to weekly and up the size !

If you dont have 2 snake bags use 2 pillow cases, use one to get her out ( its less stressful than a hook if she is inclined to coil around one and bite it) if she coils around the bag when you get her out just place her and the bag into the other one, tie the top and clean her tank out while she settles in the bag. Then handle her gently through the bag, dont restrict her movements at all but make sure you touch all over her including her head. This will let her get used to your touch and she will be able to get used to your smell at the same time. Each snake is different so its hard to say how many times you will have to repeat this before she will realise you are not going to harm her, specially since her experiences with previous owners wasnt great. You can also leave her in her bag and place her on your lap while watching tv each day for 15 mins.

Sounds like normal hungry Juvie behaviour, Bring its feed back to weekly and up the size !

Agreed! My girl is not ready to up size just yet but Im getting her ready by giving her 2 weiners every time I feed her every 5 days or so.

Sounds like its had a bit of a rough time b4 you! Do you know the length of it at all as this will help with the correct size enclosure? How many hides are in the enclosure? I have 3 (Hot end, middle and cool end) in mine so my girl can select whats best for her and she can feel safe. Whats the temp in the hot and cold ends? making sure you have the correct temps is vital. If you can answer these q's it will help you and us help you out a bit more! :)

Thanks for getting back to me.

Just so you know all that happened to her over the course of about 2 years, she is about 3 years old now! No longer a juvie, sorry should of stated that.

Bandit, the pillow case idea is excellent i will try that!

Star, the last complete shed i got from her i measured at 1.66m.

The 'hot end' is usually around 30º and the 'cold end' is normally around 23º at night and 26º during the day.

I only have one hide for her, and it sits in the middle. She has a high spot at the cool end she can climb up to which she does sometimes.

i am aproching the date of the first handleing of my spotted python, any help or advice would be apriciated of how to get her out or handle her. she is just over a year old and is a verty docile snake, or she seems docile at the pet shop when the keeper handle her!!!
thankyou!!

@rafikie, You never handled it at the shop? I always handle my snakes before buying them

@rafikie, You never handled it at the shop? I always handle my snakes before buying them

Thats the problem with shops, They let you and anyone else play with the critters!
Most of the better breeders will not let you handle the snakes when looking to buy! They will handle them in front of you but not allow you to do so.
Its all about quarantine!

Sounds like a Chuck Norris snake, she doesn't need hide boxes....they're for the owner.

Start stuffing heaps of food into it and see if that makes any difference.

haha she is just a bad *** i guess. she is a lovely snake to watch and to feed, i just worry that she will accidentally hurt herself, or i might accidentally hurt her.

Some snakes are just nuts,no mattter what you do they won't change.But this doesn't mean you give up,just means they aren't handlers.

If its constricting give it more food and hopefully it will chill out a bit more

My partner doesn't like getting my snakes out of their enclosures so when she does she uses the tea towel on the head method, maybe worth a try.

My partner doesn't like getting my snakes out of their enclosures so when she does she uses the tea towel on the head method, maybe worth a try.

How would her putting a tea towel on her head help the situation? :lol::lol:

How would her putting a tea towel on her head help the situation? :lol::lol:

I was suggesting a way to pick the snake up was to place a tea towel/ face washer over the head of the snake allowing you to pick the snake up more easily.The OP had stated that the snake likes to strike and rap itself around a snake hook so thought this might be an alternative. I thought it was a more common practice. It was one of the first things I read/come across when I first started looking into snakes.
Found it here-Untitled Document

I was suggesting a way to pick the snake up was to place a tea towel/ face washer over the head of the snake

That makes more sense than your partner putting a towel on her head

they dident let me, they said that like my hands werent cleen enuf so yeah, but still im a bit nervous my first snake, i have handled snake before but they were much bigger so i am not sure how to get it out the cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back