Can I put a heat mat inside a wooden vivarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmaan

Reaction score
Hi all
First post here, great site I must say

We have a 1 year old little Children's python, which the kids love
We finally got him a 60cm x 40cm or so vivarium and have our old heat mat

I've heard conflicting opinions over whether we can use this heat mat or it might overheat the substrate (Kritters Crumble brand) Yes, we will layer it over very lightly
Any thoughts?

When we took our old little plastic tank off the heatmat, which was sitting on the table below the tank, the mat was really warm as was the wooden table where it was sitting. The pet shop said the mats have a kill switch at 30 degrees, which is mildly encouraging

So, we're just a bit concerned about starting a fire in the tank of course, so would appreciate any thoughts as

Secondly, we are looking for a big lizard as the next pet, our kids just love reptiles, any suggestions?
Shingleback, bearded dragon, etc?

Off to the expo next weekend which will be fun...

I have a heat mat in my wooden viv I use dessert sand to cover it tho and have never had a problem

Thanks Jessh88
I mounted it against the back wall of the tank, to see how we go, the substrate is shredded coconut so felt that was a bit safer even though I'm sure it would be fine

I used to have a heat mat in our Blue Tongues wooden viv, it shorted out and left a burn mark in the timber. Bloody lucky that there was no fire. Will never use a heat mat again.

I have done so previously. I put it between two tiles to help distribute the heat and avoid hot spots.. May also be worth putting a gap so the
heat mat isn't sandwiched too tightly and has some space for air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back