Moody snake ...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake007

Reaction score
I get my hypo coastal out once a day. For the pass 5 months or so but I have noticed in the pass few weeks if I don't get her out she has abit of a mood. Just wondering any one elses snake like this ?

Id be pissed of too if someone got me out every single day, just restrict yourself from getting the python out as much.

Yer I do just trying to get her out of the biteing cause she was abit nippy when I got her she hadn't been handled much

I think he is saying the oposite Hodges... when he doesn't get around to getting her out she gets sulky.

How do you know she is sulky? What does she do to make you believe that? 99% of snakes would honestly prefer to be left alone altogether - they tolerate handling, they don't look forward to it...

Then why does she come to my hand Nd clime on me out of its cage ?

Then why does she come to my hand Nd clime on me out of its cage ?

Exactly the correct answer

There is all this scientific mumbo jumbo that only proves how little we know about reptiles
According to those experts snakes dont have the brain function to 'get moody' or 'feel/display' other emotional type responses

But there is so much anecdotal evidence to the contrary that if you believe your snake can get moody
then it most definitely does get moody to your way of thinking
And thats how it should be with any pet

Exactly the correct answer

There is all this scientific mumbo jumbo that only proves how little we know about reptiles
According to those experts snakes dont have the brain function to 'get moody' or 'feel/display' other emotional type responses

But there is so much anecdotal evidence to the contrary that if you believe your snake can get moody
then it most definitely does get moody to your way of thinking
And thats how it should be with any pet

well yer cause everything in the world has there own personalty.

I have the same thing with Cuddles if I leave her alone for any longer than 3-4 days she will get moody until I get her out and handle her for a while.

I have had a few people tell me that I am imagining things and that snakes brains only have room enough for instinct only and nothing more, I beg to differ

I've had cuddles since she was 6 weeks old and I have noticed that she has got a personality of her own and it differs from the other spotted pythons I have seen and handled. Other than wanting to be handled regularly there are other things I have seen that says there is some form of intelligence.

When sitting on the couch watching TV with Jenny my partner I hand her over to Jenny, cuddles will only stay with her for a minute at most then will slither her way back to me ( no I am not imagining things it happens every time with out fail), when I go to put her back in the enclosure if she doesn’t want to go back she will squeeze the life out of my fingers and I have to pry her off, when I have her out and she wants to be picked up she will hook her head over my thumb and squeeze her jaw down onto it and wont let go until I pick her up.

I am not suggesting that you can train a snake to fetch the paper or a beer out of the fridge but there is something other than instinct in their tiny brains.

If they were that limited why would so many people notice different personalities? A friend of mine has had a number of snakes over the years and he comments on how different each of them has been. It's like the habitat arguement, they may be content to live in a plain box but I can't help feel that it would be more pleasant for them to have some stimulus in the enclosure... but I am still waiting for my first snake so what would I know. :)

Actually I just remembered... not that snakes are like puppies and wag their tails etc but my mate has one snake who has a prefered method to sloughing. Instead of shedding in his enclosure he waits for my mate to open the door and promptly gets on his hand and then spends the evening, while my mate watches TV, shedding using his hand to wiggle through and rub off on. :D

Last edited:
Nowhere did I say that snakes don't have a personality - I actually like believing mine has his own little personality too... Maybe you misunderstand my question (it's hard to convey questions in the write way sometimes without using 1000 words)

I'm just interested to know and get the OP to clarify what they considered "moody" (as I know our snakes tolerate being handled really well and are lovely and placid - but I certainly wouldn't think ours would ever get moody from NOT being handled)

What causes you (OP) to believe she is "in a mood?" Is it something she does inside the enclosure, or something she does when you get her out again after not being handled? I am genuinely interested to know what you spot to suggest that.

Its the fact she comes to her basking spot when I come home (she is sully there or goes there with in a hour or two) and after I cuddle her she will go in her tree and stay out to be seen but if I don't hold her for a few days she will go hide in her hide(lol). Like she doesn't want me to see her. It hasn't just happen once or twice happened a few times ,

Its the fact she comes to her basking spot when I come home (she is sully there or goes there with in a hour or two) and after I cuddle her she will go in her tree and stay out to be seen but if I don't hold her for a few days she will go hide in her hide(lol). Like she doesn't want me to see her. It hasn't just happen once or twice happened a few times ,

Sounds like normal behaviour to me.. goes to the heat when she needs heat, goes to a branch once getting back in the the enclosure and chillin' there, then like every other snake going back to hide :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back